Easy and efficient - Compact Fluorescent Lighting - CFLs

DaHui

This setup will cost you anything from 30$ and up. Out of a regular 4 bulb vanity bar, you'll be able to get around 240w from cfl's (that's it you get two 30w cfl's per socket), that's over 12 000 lumens.

In my opinion, you want about 50w per plant, you could vedge 4 or 5 plants easily with this system, if you get a decent amount of watts.. You could probably flower with this kinda system too, I suppose you can if you SOG.

The main advantage, I find with this kinda light set up is that you are using CFL's which last a hole lot longer then regular bulbs, they use less watts for the same amount of lumens emitted and do not produce alot of heat so you could have these lights up pretty close to your plants.. Also, if you have a small area to grow in, this kind of set up is not big, you can mount it just about anywhere you want, the whole light set up is pretty light too.

So this is how to make the CFL Vanity Bar light setup. You can find everything you need in a store like Home Depot.

1)Go in the bathroom lighting section and get a washroom light that you can mount on a wall, it's about 10$ for a 3 bulb one, 25$ for 6 bulbs... Looks like this.. 'Vanity Bar' is what it's called.
0511212.jpg

You can get different sizes.. Whatever size you get, you'll need double the cfl's. For example, with this one, you'd need 8 cfl's, 2 mounted in each socket using the special socket piece. Make sure that the two bulb wattage does is not over 60w cuz the wall thingy can't handle more then 60w bulbs per hole.

2)Get some cfl's - compact fluos - in this case, get eigth 13w or more, higher the watts the better...

3)Next you wanna get these sockets that intake 2 bulbs, they cost like 2$ each. (Sorry, couldn't find a pic.. They should sell these next to the bulbs, just look or ask)

4)In your house or at the store get a normal plug, you can basicaly use any old extension from xmas lights for instance or an old lamp plug or get one at the store... The reason is the washroom light does not plug into a wall, you'll have to wire it up. It's a very easy task.
54185086.jpg

5)Get some electrical tape.

The wiring is as easy as 4-2-0 : (But I am not responsible for your fuck ups)

• If you are using an old extension cord you found at home, like a xmas light one, cut the extension cord as long as possible, you now have one end with the plug that goes into the wall, the other end yo have 2 wires stuck together, peal the plastic back exposing the wires.
  • On the vanity bar you have 3 wires, the instructions should tell you that one of them is the ground wire, leave that one alone, just put some eletrical tape on the end if you want.
  • Now you got 2 wires, take one and connect it to one of the wires from the extension cord, twist it together, add some electric tape, repeat for the other wire.

Plug in the double socket in the Vanity Bar, plug in the bulbs.

Plug the extension cord in the wall.

You are done.

You can even get a timer so it goes on and off by itself without you having to plug and unplug it.

DaHui: IMHO, the above set up is great for a LowRyder grow. The inverted V means that you can almost suround your plants in light. However, (again, IMHO) if you're growing something other than LR's that set up leavs a lot of the plant deprived of light. Check prices,,, Would it be cheaper to buy three, 3 bulb vanity bar light set ups as shown above and put a single bulb in each socket? (that way your plants would be more surouded by lights) OR buy 3 sets of 4 foot shop lights for max of $8 a piece and 6 bulbs which can run you as high as $20 if you mix spectrums.
I think it's awesome that you're doing a little research and asking around before you make your final decision. You're doing great man! Do some comparison shoping. Think about your grow area. The cfl's might be cheaper (I don't know, I never priced them out). But, you can rip the guts out of a cheap set of 4' shop lights and spread your 40 watts over a larger area. You can even hang them vertically between your plants. All things to think about and consider. Probably makes your decision even harder. LOL Let us know what you come up w/though.
Vin

Back
Top Bottom