CFL lights turning off by themselves?

Surfnsmoke

Hi I am new to the forum and just have a quick question about these CFL bulbs,
I am currently vegetating one plant i just potted it after germination.
I have it under 4 CFL bulbs that I have the bulbs plugged into those 5" round clamp lights. The specs for the
Clamp light is 120v 60w bulb capacity. The CFLs I got is the 23w 1600 lumen "daylight" series. I think it's 5,000k color. I have the lights plugged into a power strip and then an extension cord running from that to a wall outlet. My problem is after a few hours of being plugged in the bulbs all just went out. I reset the power strip and nothing happened, I then took one of the bulbs out and threaded it into my bathroom fixture and it worked just fine. I left them off for a few minutes and turned my lights back on and they all work again? Am I overloading the circuit? Too much power for one outlet to handle? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Update: I just went back in there after an hour and the lights were all off again... I unscrewed them, and let them sit on the floor for a minute, plugged them back in and they all work fine again. It almost sounds like they are overheating??

1st off the 5" round clamp light, is that the HD/Walmart clamp light with the alum reflector? I use one of those with the same 4 bulbs, but usually I use two.

What are you using to get 4 in there. It comes with 1 socket, so you'd have to use 3 Y adapters to get to 4 right?

Those Y adapters need to be in tight. They are not 'clockable' meaning that they get tight when they get tight and you can adjust where they point. That's why I use 2 per clamp, I can adjust exactly where I want the bulbs to be.

4 bulbs would put you at 96 watts and it's rated for 60.

If you are running 4 and it's turning off remove 1 or 2 and see what that does.

Overall, I think you are best to just get 1 more clamp and make it 2 per.

2 per clamp allows you to get in between the plants nice and close, 4 doesn't.

Yes they are the ones from Walmart, I have 4 clamps so I have 1 bulb per clamp. That's why I am confused, if I'm running 23w CFLs and they are rates for 60 I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe I need to run 2 bulbs to one outlet and the other 2 to another outlet?

After running 2 bulbs to one outlet and 2 to another outlet it still keeps happening. 2 bulbs have already burnt out completely so you are probably right and they are bad bulbs. Ill have to pick up another set and I will go with sylvania. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom