power strip/timer

Jacob Bell

Hello! I have a quick question about timers. I have 3 light fixtures to plug into a grounded timer, but the timer only has 2 outlet on it, plus the one that plugs into the power strip. Is it safe, and will it work if I plug all the lights into the power strip, plug the power strip into the timer, and the timer into an extension cord? It's the only way I can think of for the timer to control all the lights. Any thought would be appreciated. I am not that good with electrical stuff. Thanks in advance.

I've done that before, but I don't know if it's a good idea. I revamped my grow area and don't do this anymore. Most timers have a rated capacity. Check what yours is and figure if you can get away with this setup. My first mechanical timer was rated for 600 watts, but it was a super cheap timer. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks Bud. I like the .45 pics hehe. I think I will just go ahead and do it the regular way, that is, lights/fan into power strip, strip into timer that is plugged into wall outlet. I was trying to avoid having the timer plugged into the outlet is all. Thanks for the reply! Have a good one!

Your equipment has a UL listing, I assume. What that means is that if you use it per the instructions you are fairly safe. Your timer is rated for 15 amps and you are drawing less than 2 amps. I would not be afraid to use the configuration you are suggesting. When you buy electrical equipment take the time to note that it is UL (Underwriters Lab) listed.

When ever you are in doubt about overloading something check it frequently for heat buildup. Heat is the first sign of an overload.

ok, cool. thanks you two. appreciate it!! i am only going to grow 1 plant at a time, so I am hoping the lighting i have is sufficient. if not, i will buy a few more. I have been looking at others setup's on here, and gaining some fresh ideas. Next thing I am going to do is take the lights out of the reflectors, and use a socket thing to plug directly into the power strip, and hang it above, so the plant gets the best light.

Back
Top Bottom