Ebb & Flow PVC vs 5gal DWC bucket

NoobieBoobie

A friend is amping his up medicinal grow in CO and asked for my help but I didn't really know what to tell him. I've never done anything more than a personal grow so I've always used 5 gal DWC buckets, nothing fancy, just a bucket with an air hose and stone going into it and some clay pellets.

I realize that on a larger scale, changing the water would be a real hassle. Of course you could drill some holes in the sides and run some hoses in and out of the buckets to allow for automatic draining and refilling rather than having to do each bucket manually, but if I was going to go through that much work on the initial setup, I thought it would be better to just go with an ebb/flow PVC setup.

My main question is, I'm asking for people with extensive experience growing both ways only, does the extra root mass of the DWC system allow for bigger yields?

I've only used a PVC system for clones and have never flowered or even vegged in it, so my main concern is that with such small space for root expansion, will the plants stay really small? How closely should I space the plants apart and will the yield be reduced when compared to DWC buckets occupying the same square footage?

It all depends on how much of an investment you or your buddy want to make

You could run a rdwc, you do all your work and mixing in the res. Both work well, just gotta find what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom