End Hempseed Food Ban: Businessman

A Perth businessman wants the Federal Government to lift a ban on the sale of hempseed foods and oils for human consumption, arguing they have a better balance of essential fatty acids than popular fish oil.

Hemp Resources chief executive Kim Hough has written to his local MP and Foreign Affairs Minister Stephen Smith calling for an exemption from the Australian food standard which makes hemp foods illegal for human ingestion.

Hempseed and its oil come from the leaf of the cannabis plant but do not have any psychotropic properties. They are already used in food products such as health bars, salad oils and dairy substitutes overseas.

Mr Hough said it was shortsightedness not to allow a valid industry that could be earning thousands of dollars every year. He said hemp protein foods and oils were highly nutritious because they were rich in proteins and the essential fatty acids omega 3 and omega 6.

"Hemp seed is known to contain all the required proteins in the best proportions for human nutrition," he said.

"With large croppings recently harvested in WA's far north we would like to use the seeds to market hemp protein foods and oils directly to the public but we have the farcical situation where these foods can only be sold for animal consumption."

Mr Hough said the ban on the use of hemp in food products could also be contrary to Australia's obligations as members of the World Trade Organisation. Mr Smith's office did not comment.

hempseed.jpg

Kim Hough from Hemp Resorces Ltd is pushing the sale of hemp food and oil for human consumption in Australia. Picture: John Mokrzycki​

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The West Australian
Author: Cathy O'Leary
Copyright: 2008 West Australian Newspapers Limited

I was given a sample of a hemp seed product at my pharmacy the other day and it was really tasty.I have no idea who would prohibit hemp seed?You can order it from Canada if you like.I'll provide you with the address if you request it.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom