Ethylene for cure or ripe?

420pharms

Anyone have good info on the effect of ethylene in cure or ripening? Its something I want to exp. with thanx

Sorry, no, but what a clever thought. I use ripe bananas to ripen other fruit all of the time. I'm just going to 12&12 and hopefully I'll remember to clear bag a growing cola with a very clean banana to try this. Prolly just about first red hair time. Evaluating the efficacy is going to be pretty subjective but I'm pretty sure you expect your Nobel to come from an area other than a weed grow site anyway.

If you find a way to artificially ripen your buds early, won't your yields suffer?

Speaking for myself, I just grow for the fun of it and if this'll turn out carmel popcorn, well that'll be fun and on top of that I do like clever, whether it works or not. I take your point for commercial growers but the personal use folks like me that I know have more of a problem with an embarassment of riches along with a need to keep it interesting.

Keep up the good work on and off the site, being a caregiver that involves the herb can't be easy.

I'll be interested in your results. You're not the only one that wonders, lol.

Hope you can test this on one of two identical clones growing side-by-side.

A thought just occurred, though: The ethylene gas released from the fruit works by ripening fruit (and, I presume, flowers). But we don't harvest buds (cannabis flowers) when they're "ripe," we harvest them when ~maximum trichomes have been produced and time/light have turned them cloudy and started to degrade (amber) them. So I really have no idea how your experiment will turn out.

Those are the best kinds of experiments.

Right on, I love to exp. it has its cost but its very fun, my latest exp. was freeze dry fun and makes good product. maybe not for all.I think ethylene does have a use in cure, and will like to read what u get thanx

Apples are a good free source of ethylene. Hence the term "One bad apple spoils the bunch."

I'd think it would be best employed during the initial stage of drying, while the plant tissue is still moist and breaking down pigments and starches...

I had been thinking in terms of ageing the lower buds more quickly just before harvest but using ethylene in the dry or the cure makes much more sense and will be so much more manageable. I'm a few days into a dry but I'll pull out my pocket microscope - damned wiggly thing - and see if I can find a couple of similar triched out buds, clear if I got 'em. I'm thinking open mouth jars, one with a banana and the other as control and I'll be looking for change in the trichs. Unfortunately a life of playing without a helmet has left my sense of smell in the dust so the sensory evaluations would best be done by others.

Well first thing tomorrow, today I'm getting ready for Avatar in IMAX and 3D. Fantasia is still pretty special but.............yippee!

My fear of fruit in the grow area... Fruit flies!

I think anytime you are using fruit (fresh) in the curing process, keep a sharp(er) eye out for mold and other malodorous intruders.

Isn't ethylene hormone available in many forms its used for avocado ripening and pineapple crops. If I recall my old info right. I will look into it. You are right to fear it rotting your product and many other pheno expressions as well, depending on were how what type when or what results desired when used. Now I recall that it was too much distraction than I could or should deal with at the time of my study. Thanx

Well I'm into my 3rd and maybe last day with a bud sharing space with a solid yellow, no spots, banana. My microscope is off hiding somewhere so I'm kind of blind but there certainly smells like something is happening. My control, half of the same bud, dried to the point of the stem snappimg today so it's time to tidy up the dry room and probably eat the banana. I've noticed the banana steams up the jar and I'm going to try using another one to hydrate some dried product later. For now it certainly makes the bud smell much stronger and very sweet, I'll see how that holds up during the cure.

I was actually testing half of my biggest bud with a water cure before I started this so now I've got a bit more stuff to be sampling in a month or so.

I haven't tried water cure yet and will soon. Creemore ? what does expect your noble mean?

Sorry 420...., I was referring to a Nobel Prize, using overstatement as a humour device.

I'm still impressed by your initial interest in ethylene, the first time I'd seen it mentioned in here. There are some pretty clever people on this site who are testing out what will work and keeping the hobby moving forward. Keep sharing the good thoughts.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit.
Helen Keller

Cool I understand. Finishing bud early is only one thought I had another was to get them to ripen evenly and maybe increase cbd production. I had a problem in my grow I am unable to get amber trich's, It has been assumed by me that since I grow in a sealed enviorment with a crabon filter constantly recycling the air and removing the available ethylene . It took me alot to figure out what was happening in my grow. And no ethylene hasn't been all bad. I do get some amber now and it happens in cure/dry stage,

my grow room isn't the norm and I don't get alot of info from other who have tried full sealed growing. bloom is a constant vacuum co2 is constant and never brings in fresh air, ac handles rh and so on. Its very fast growth and unusual. Thanx for sharing I'm really interested in your results

Its very interesting, we must be altering the levels in the plants with the clone nutes and and many of the bloom enhancers, I feel that there may be alot of good results gained from the use of ethylene, and ripening is a great place to start learning with it. It's hard to focus on any single hormone since one seems to be altering the other and so on. Thanx for the info I hope u get good results from your study it would be wonderful if you get a noticeable effect

420..... Apparently I can't reply to you directly until I have 25 posts so...

try #2, sorry if you get this twice, I googled something in between and my first reply went into the ether. I'm new to the site and just noticed your message, I wasn't ignoring you.

I was a Marc Emery customer and am going through a definite shy period as the result of his being chosen for a 5yr advanced course in Southern freedom and democracy. I take lot's of pics but more for me to monitor progress than to get into a Cheech and Chong riff. At least for now.

I'm really doing this for the sake of the growing. I'm a reluctant consumer at best, but I've got some dear friends with the big C and if I can help, so be it. You had postulated a pretty interesting what if that pulled me out of the woodwork. Mostly I lurk and learn.

My banana cure seems to have imparted a sweeter odor to that jar and if it lasts that's a bonus for the sick, at least I hope - I just had a vision of an elevator from years ago and a young man who'd bathed in Jade East, gag me with a very big spoon. Anyway nothing ventured.......

The water cure is also a repeater. It washed out the greens (colours) and greatly enhanced the red hair and old folks really luuuuuv red hair dope. It's all about perception. I'm going to try a salt water cure next. A few days of salt water to dessicate then a week of tap water to flush.

Good luck with your endeavours, and ignore *self censored *

Like you I sort of lurk and learn hear, I am very busy we bought a house in a county that is more receptive to our legal business. Wish I could hook you up with some Red Rocks she's a real redhead with long pistols fast and potent to, we just got a tissue culture kit have you ever tried it ? your friend Marc's situation troubles a lot of us. got some vanilla kush the other day it was fantastic will grow it soon banana cured might be best made, this shit growing me our am I growing it? I don't post many pics no need to start shit without fear of harassment, and we have some very sick people who need our medication. we do take a lot of pics the discovery digital scope is fun as hell and I'm stoned as hell.

Back
Top Bottom