Fan leaf vs sugar leaf & aux leaf

cbgb

hey 420 peeps , hope you are having a great day....... chem dog 4 heavy leaning indica, started 06/01/16 veg for 50 days has been in flower mode since then ...took ten days to show sex. i am trying to thin out my plant and let some light into the lower and mid section to avoid popcorn buds ....... once an aux branch starts growing leaves ~ aux and sugar. does the fan leaf really do any more work? what i am getting at is pruning of the fan leaf and getting some room for the aux and sugar leaves to absorb more light ..... i have been pruning the lower leaves as they are the oldest and they have to look pretty tattered for me to remove.... any thoughts or ideas will be welcomed , .thanks :Namaste:

re: Fan leaf vs sugar leaf & aux leaf

hmmm.. Well, everyone has there own theory on defoliation. I am pretty generous when it comes to taking off the leaves while in veg, but I try and only take off what is necessary during flower.

I stand over the plant and first take off ANY fan leaf that points back towards the center stem. This will help to open the canopy up and let light penetrate deeper. Then I go branch by branch and find any bud sites that are being blocked from the light. If I can't tuck the leaf under another, then it comes off. Finally, and I typically do this before flower, I take off everything below where I want the cola to start. So, basically bottom popcorn growth that just uses and wastes energy.

Remember that most of the photosynthesis takes place in the fan leaves, they are the solar panels of the plant if you will; so don't take off too many fan leaves while in flower, otherwise you run the risk of the plant going hermie.

Hope this helps a little.

:thumb:

thanks dan , photosynthesis does happen on the sugar and aux leaves right? i am pretty much doing what you said above except i am in flower mode and only take a few ragged looking leaves off once or twice a week as not to cause stress......thanks for the help !!!!:high-five::high-five::Namaste:

thanks dan , photosynthesis does happen on the sugar and aux leaves right? i am pretty much doing what you said above except i am in flower mode and only take a few ragged looking leaves off once or twice a week as not to cause stress......thanks for the help !!!!:high-five::high-five::Namaste:

I believe they are more for storing sugars than creating sugars through photosynthesis. I'm sure the aide with PS, but it's not their main responsibility.

chem dog # 4 some happy looking girls 20 days into flower ...........
happy41.jpg
happy32.jpg
happy26.jpg
happy6.jpg

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom