Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

If you are like me I couldn't wait to that Mars junk out of my grow. It does grow bud but kicks out just as much heat as my CFL contraption.

You could get a head start by salvaging the drivers from one of those Mars panels. I did this with a Mars 600 old model. Each driver in that panel can push two 36v COBs @ 700ma. That's a lot of light even at that wattage. Pick up a couple of COBs/heatsinks and go from there. Or you can go mid power LED with the QB288 panels. Those drivers will run one of those panels and provide you a good amount of full spectrum light. 4 of those QB288 panel would smoke those MH panels easily with the same drivers.

HERE YA GO FELLAS

PARTS LIST AND PRICING FOR 42 COB CREE CXB3590 0-2KW
Heat sinks 140mmX80mm Passive 42 @ $22.50 each = $945.00
CXB3590 in 3000k 30 @ $46.00 each= $1380.00
CXB3590 in 5000K 12 @ $46.00 each= $552.00
Meanwell HLG-320H-C1400B drivers 7 @ $98.00 each= $686.00
Angelina 90 degree reflectors 42 @ $4.20 each= $176.40
CXB Ideal COB holders 42@ $3.50 each= $147.00
Ideal Reflector Adapters for CXB's 42@ $0.96 each= $40.32
Wattage meters for every row of COB's 7@ $9.99 each=$69.96
100' 20AWG solid coper insulated wire 1@ $30.00 each=$30.00
Aluminum frame (rough estimate only 50% bought) 1@ $400.00 each=$400.00
Frame parts including eye bolts,rivets ect 1@$20.00 each=$20.00
Arctic Silver 5 heat transfer paste $15.00
100k linear potentiometers with red/blue knobs $10.00
Grey PVP wiring junction box 6@ $6.49 each=$39.94
SHIPPING FOR ALL ITEMS FROM DIFFERENT PLACES ADDED TOGETHER $125.00

TOTAL $4596.68

I may have forgotten a few small things but this was 99% of it if I did forget any parts

:thumb: Fanleaf, I love love your design.

My first post, long time daily cannabis lover/user now legal, but I have never grown. I started reaching LED lights heavily 3 weeks ago, and ended up hear after reading and reading.

Almost came to tears at the end of the AP gold post.
I just missed the APG, but I did get lucky enough to open a few vacuum sealed 1 oz cans of Hawaiian in 79. The can said Coconut Flakes. It was unreal.

I built my 48 x 63 inch grow room 4 years ago, wife freaked out when she figured out what out what I was doing (high school kids). There gone, where done, so I can finally set it up.

I'm hoping to tap into your wealth of knowledge. I really like the low wattage and large coverage of your design.

I was thinking 15 COB's, with your help determining Cree like yours or Vero 29, in 3 separate 57 inch bars, COBS 11.5 inches apart similar to JimmyJames. Placed 14 inches apart, 6 inches from the walls.
I want to keep the build as easy as possible, after looking at your Bloody Skunk, I want it done ASAP.

I do want to add Wattage meters, I believe you had one mounted to your 5 COB Vero 29.

I was thinking I could somewhat match your LED scheme, by having the 2nd and 4th LED on the center bar be a 5K's with two POTS for dimming. Do you think it it worth it with only two? or should I go all 3500's.

Do you think driver heat is a big issue? I could mount them a foot or so outside the room or so, but as I mentioned trying to go simple without sacrifice.

Please let me know what drivers and LED's you would recommend. Cost is a slight factor. I hoping to come in about $1,500, less would be nice.

:thanks:

:thumb: Fanleaf, I love love your design.

My first post, long time daily cannabis lover/user now legal, but I have never grown. I started reaching LED lights heavily 3 weeks ago, and ended up hear after reading and reading.

Almost came to tears at the end of the AP gold post.
I just missed the APG, but I did get lucky enough to open a few vacuum sealed 1 oz cans of Hawaiian in 79. The can said Coconut Flakes. It was unreal.

I built my 48 x 63 inch grow room 4 years ago, wife freaked out when she figured out what out what I was doing (high school kids). There gone, where done, so I can finally set it up.

I'm hoping to tap into your wealth of knowledge. I really like the low wattage and large coverage of your design.

I was thinking 15 COB's, with your help determining Cree like yours or Vero 29, in 3 separate 57 inch bars, COBS 11.5 inches apart similar to JimmyJames. Placed 14 inches apart, 6 inches from the walls.
I want to keep the build as easy as possible, after looking at your Bloody Skunk, I want it done ASAP.

I do want to add Wattage meters, I believe you had one mounted to your 5 COB Vero 29.

I was thinking I could somewhat match your LED scheme, by having the 2nd and 4th LED on the center bar be a 5K's with two POTS for dimming. Do you think it it worth it with only two? or should I go all 3500's.

Do you think driver heat is a big issue? I could mount them a foot or so outside the room or so, but as I mentioned trying to go simple without sacrifice.

Please let me know what drivers and LED's you would recommend. Cost is a slight factor. I hoping to come in about $1,500, less would be nice.

The Cree running on the HLG 1750 mA is a sweet set up. 4 COBs on a single HLG 240h-c1750.
COBs stay cool on 120mm heatsinks. 250w for a set of 4.
My client whom I built a 6000k Cree veg light for is coming by for a PAR test and to add a switch. I'll post a vid. The 6000k should put out crazy micromoles.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm thinking either the Cree CXB3590's or the Vero 29 v7's, 5 Cobs per bar.

I forgot to mention that plan on having a small 3 x3 veg tent before two long, so the 15 COB's will end up being for flowering, as I like the idea of have nuggets every two months. And being a rookie if I mess up a grow, I don't have to wait 4 months.

Do you think I should have mixture of COB's for flowering?

I forgot to mention that plan on having a small 3 x3 veg tent before two long, so the 15 COB's will end up being for flowering, as I like the idea of have nuggets every two months. And being a rookie if I mess up a grow, I don't have to wait 4 months.

Do you think I should have mixture of COB's for flowering?

I'd mix 4000k and 1750k for flower.
I'm on day 5 since I added all 1750k COBs and I've noticed significant bud growth. Especially in density.

Just got to say thanks to Fanleaf and others for the help over the past 6 months as I followed these various build. I managed to pick up a few of the power meters that Fanleaf had mentioned in his build and added them to my original Vero29 light build. I am sure the plants do not notice the difference, but I like the way it makes the build look a little more professional. That is the tough thing about DIY when you are only making one or two for yourself. Everything is a prototype and the project ends up with more holes than needed as you change your mind about component locations. But it did teach me a thing or two about wiring and determining components a little better. Anyway here are a couple of pictures of this light. The whole light will run at 530 watts, but it sure is nice to be able to reduce that at the start and turn them up later in flower.
IMAG49821.jpg
IMAG49791.jpg
IMAG47131.jpg

I'd mix 4000k and 1750k for flower.
I'm on day 5 since I added all 1750k COBs and I've noticed significant bud growth. Especially in density.

Are you using a separate dimmer and or switch for the 1750k's? and how many of the 1750k's would you use. 15 COBs, 5 COBS 11.4" apart on 3 bars each 57". The 3 bars will be about 14" apart.

Also would you I use a HLG-240h-c2100b to run the 5 COBs at just under 50 watts, or does separate dimming if required, need at least a 4th driver? as I could connect the 3 bars together.

Hey JimmyJames

They arrived today and i have done my best to fit them (think i done it right) but they arent working :(
Do you think this might be because the drivers arent strong enough to power them or have i done something wrong ?
20170324_172521.jpg
20170324_172521.jpg
20170324_172523.jpg
20170324_173416.jpg

Hey JimmyJames

They arrived today and i have done my best to fit them (think i done it right) but they arent working :(
Do you think this might be because the drivers arent strong enough to power them or have i done something wrong ?
20170324_172521.jpg
20170324_172521.jpg
20170324_172523.jpg
20170324_173416.jpg

Those thermal pads will not do. What happened to the back of the cob? It looks broken where the red wire goes in.

If your driver's are 79v at 700mah. It should work.

I had a feeling it might have been the thermal pads, i think i might have been stupid enough to allow the metal on the back of the chips to touch the heat sinks.

I took it off, because i tried to take the wire back out, it clips back on. I think i have made a right mess of this. If the metal on the back of the chips has touched the heat sink when iv turned on the power, is there a chance the chips are now broken ? I have more pads and can fill the fill the whole of the back of the chips if that might help.

Fanleaf's Huge 42 Cree CXB3590 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

I had a feeling it might have been the thermal pads, i think i might have been stupid enough to allow the metal on the back of the chips to touch the heat sinks.

I took it off, because i tried to take the wire back out, it clips back on. I think i have made a right mess of this. If the metal on the back of the chips has touched the heat sink when iv turned on the power, is there a chance the chips are now broken ? I have more pads and can fill the fill the whole of the back of the chips if that might help.

The back can touch the heatsink. Neither carries any currant. It's likely that the drivers are not actually the voltage they say they are.
You have to have thermal pads over the whole back metal plate.
Do you have a multimeter?

Thanks for all this help mate.

I will fill the whole of the back with the pads and see what happens. I think you could be right about the drivers being not what they say they are.

The back can touch the heatsink. Neither carries any currant. It's likely that the drivers are not actually the voltage they say they are.
You have to have thermal pads over the whole back metal plate.
Do you have a multimeter?

Sorry only just seen this (bolded bit). Yes i do have a multimeter.

Sorry i thought i had a multimeter buts its just a energy monitor/plug timer, and the readings dont seem accurate, it is saying 230.3 v, but i have tested it with other plugs and it is saying the same thing.

Sorry bout all the messing around, i will either buy a multimeter tomorrow or might just buy a proper driver to power the 2 chips, which i probably should have done in the beginning. What driver would you suggest to run the 2 chips ?

Back
Top Bottom