First grow, flowering, questions on flushing

weezyftony

I have heard this term flushing in a few threads and was wondering what it is? also when do I do it and how long if its necessary? i am 3 weeks into flowering. all help appreciated thanks

its basically flushing the nutrients out of your leaves, before harvest.

there are literally 1000's of arguments over who flushes, who doesnt, why it has to be done, why it doesnt, etc.

typically, flushing in soil, means pouring a whole bunch of water through your soil about 1-2 weeks before harvest, and letting the plant eat up nutirents left in the leaves to sustain its last bit of life, which takes much of the built up nutes, and chlorophyll out of the leaves resulting in a smoother, better tasting final smoke.

in hydro, its basically either dropping the ppm to below 300, or by feeding straight RO water for the last week. resulting in the same thing.

now there are many heated debates arguing if this is even nessicary. and from my experiences. my belief is as follows.

if you dont overfeed, and treat her well, a very minimal flush of only a few days, or none at all works just fine.

where as, if shes overfed, burnt, or just really heavy on nutes in general, a flush should be done.

its really up to you if you want to flush or not. if you have more than 1 plant, you could always flush one, and not the other, and see if you notice a difference. and make your choice from there.

i find the BIGGEST factor of flavor, and smoothness, is to dry, and cure you final product properly. and this is more important than a flush itself (IN MY OPINION, dont hate me flushers)... unless of course shes been overfed... in which case , i would flush her out for no less than a week.

ok great thanks for clarifying that for me being that i have never put nutrients into the plant i should be fine with not flushing i only used soil that had nutrients in it but i don't think ill worry about that.. awesome thanks

yeah nibec is spot on... generally there are two types of flushing

1 when approaching harvest of your buds you may want to flush out excessive nutrients(non organic salts) in your plants, esp in hydro or where alot of chems are used- this can really effect the taste of your buds and can even leave residue in a joint(ive noticed in the past a green tinge to the paper around the end where it is burning) if you partake that way

and

2 when you over feed your plants and they suffer nutrient burn, this is when you would flush excessive nutrients from the soil itself by running alot of water freely through your soil.

Back
Top Bottom