Florida has a Rep for Congress on our side!

Boss

This is a reply to an e-mail that I got from Congressman Blyth, running here in my area.

Please see my “action plans” at Steve Blythe's Action Plan for Congress

I know that congressman Hinchey has planned to introduce a bill that would prohibit the US from interfering with states that have enacted medical marijuana laws. I am in favor of that. It is the state’s right to do so. I can prescribe Marinol – derived from marijuana but not as good – for $500 for 60 capsules – and yet THAT is not illegal! Go figure.

And I do not think it benefits anyone to lock up non-violent minor drug offenders.

No, I am afraid I am not bought off by the drug companies. I am sure they would not like my push for a universal single-payer health system. Please review my web site. -sb

-------

There is hope. We need all the help we can get down here, so if you live here, go visit that site and sign up to show your support.

Wait. Is that for real!?!?!? $500 for 60 marinol capsules?! please tell me thats a joke or something

This is a reply to an e-mail that I got from Congressman Blyth, running here in my area.

-------

There is hope. We need all the help we can get down here, so if you live here, go visit that site and sign up to show your support.

That is an excellent site he's got. Very coherent, balanced and sensible policy statements. Man, I'd kill to have a candidate like that!

Blythe lost to the Republican candidate Bill Posey

This shouldn't have happened, the incumbent announced they weren't running so chances were really good.

Hopefully, he tries again

There is a new iniative out there now for FL, we'll see if it gathers any steam.

Medical marijuana bill faces long odds
Updated: Thursday, 10 Mar 2011, 3:28 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 10 Mar 2011, 3:24 PM EST

By Dave Heller/Gannett TV

TALLAHASSEE - A state lawmakers is working on legalizing medical marijuana in Florida.

Rep. Jeff Clemens has filed legislation that would allow Floridians to vote on a constitutional amendment about medicinal marijuana.

It's the first-ever bill that tries to legalize the medical use of marijuana in Florida.

Clemens believes it makes no sense to allow people to use powerful prescription drugs like Oxycontin, Methadone and Percocet, but ban them from using a natural herb to treat an illness.

He says seven people are dying every day in Florida from those prescription drugs, but no one has died from cannabis.

Under his bill, medicinal cannabis could only be prescribed to people suffering debilitating medical conditions. It would also give protections to people who grow marijuana for medical purposes.

Cathy Jordan, who has lived with A.L.S for nearly 25 years, says she uses marijuana to treat her illness. She says she's been able to survive Lou Gehrig's Disease because of medicinal marijuana.

"Cannabis is a neuro-protector, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. I know this because the federal government has the patent," Jordan said.

Other advocates say there is much research supporting the safety of cannabis.

---EXTRA SOT--- Mary Lynn Mathre/ "Patients Out of Time" :)15) (Mathre is a registered nurse with 35 years of experience who says there is much research supporting the safety of cannabis)

"The plant can provide much pain relief from suffering, and greatly improves the quality of lives of any patients," said Mary Lynn Mathre, with Patients Out of Time, a medical marijuana advocacy group. "Patients are in desperate need of this medicine. We don't need more research. We welcome more research but the patients need this medicine now."

Clemens argues medical marijuana is a much safer alternative to prescription narcotics.

"We have a lot of people suffering here in the state of Florida and I don't think we need to be telling them that prescription narcotics are the way to go when we have other more natural avenues for them," he said.

The bill also says insurance companies would not be required to cover medicinal cannabis and employers would not be required to accommodate its use in the workplace.

Clemens says 15 other states have passed similar legislation. The bill has not been assigned to a committee for a hearing, and faces long odds in the conservative legislature.

Medical marijuana bill faces long odds

Back
Top Bottom