Foxtail Agave and Aloe Vera

Potted my 3 new Foxtail Agave (Agave Attenuata), gifted from T. at thecactusjonesdotcom, so here's a mini journal to follow their development. They are small now but get 4 to 8 feet across so I won't be keeping them inside for long! Also got myself a much needed Aloe Vera cutting off ebaydotcom and potted it too. I baked the potting soil in the oven until it reached 160 F to sterilize it. Bottom watered them with 100mL each of distilled water. It's taking a while to soak up after oven baking but no worries.

Agave20230605_133448r.jpg

AloeNAgave20230606_181444r.jpg

I've got a feeling I'm going to be up-potting these and moving them to the patio very soon.

The Aloe plant is already starting to take off. It's getting some nice reddish colors and the center leaf has grown some. I sprinkled about a 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of Geoflora Veg and worked it into the topsoil with a toothpick, then watered it in with 100mL of water containing 1mL of Jones Juice. Each of the three Agaves also got 100mL Jonesy water also.

Aloe20230613_215106cr.jpg

Foxtail_Agave_20230613_221709.jpg

I was surprised and delighted to find the Aloe has sprouted a pup already, but the mother doesn't look happy so I leached the soil in the sink. A lot of brown water ran off but after several liters poured through the soil, it's running clear now. I'll leave it to drain off for an hour before putting it back in the garden.
I am going to have to leach each of the agaves, too. They are planted in the same used soil and are not looking healthy either.

20230710_194209.jpg

Back
Top Bottom