Fungus Gnats

The SNS 203 soil drench and foliar 2 way attack worked for me and it is all natural. Did the Drench once a week for 3 weeks and foliar sprayed every 5 days for 3 weeks. I had no stress on the ladies and did not affect my final yld or quality. The thing i did do in between foliar was use a rinse application of a product called Florashield by GH to wash away residues and to stimulate the stomata cells on the leaves.
:smokin:

Well, my fungus gnat situation has resolved for now. Although I seemed to only have a minor infestation, I went all out addressing the problem. My grow room has a gravel
floor, so spills are not a problem, but I do have seasonal problems with moisture.

I used BT (subspecies israelensis) and will continue to use it on a regular basis. I cleaned up my grow room (good advice in general), getting rid of any dead organic material. I also placed a HotShot no pest strip for 24 hours. My fresh yellow cards are staying clear (for now).
hotshot.JPG

WOAH! I've seen these in the stores, and if you read the warning it says only to use them if the enclosed area will be UNOCCUPIED FOR > 4 MONTHS. This is the active chemical in that product ( r Dichlorvos a.k.a. DDVP EXTOXNET PIP - DICHLORVOS )

I've just seen 4 growers attest to using them on this thread alone?

Not to mention, medical growers come here to get information. I seriously hope there are not a bunch of people out there giving raid "odorless penetrating vapor" covered weed to cancer patients. Seriously, we have to do better than this or they'll use it as an excuse to hand the medical marijuana control over to monsanto and eli lilly.

Where does one find these hotshot NPS strips? I have the gnats now... :(

Home Depot, Lowes. Either is cheaper than your local hardware stores. Also if you have a Tractor Supply around you. They have it there.

These pest strips are normally used for horse stalls all the way to green houses. They can even be used in a reptile enclosure to take care of mites.

Although prolonged exposure to your plants can possibly be bad for them, you and everyone's health. If your growing inside, a week tops in the room followed by good ol'H20 sprayed directly onto plant leaves, and some serious flushing of soil to help eliminate some of the potential hazards. Flush Flush Flush!

Hi! First, thanks to so many for info on gnats. They have ruined so many plants tho I have used Neem, cedar oil, sticky traps evreything I could ftry. Each one puts a dent in the numbers but nothing seems to lower them to zero, which of course what we want. btw indoors, growing in pots.

Heres my solution that has been so effective after two and a half days I am kinda stunned. Here is what I did:

1: added a layer of pea sized stones, don't get limestone, Buy them where you buy cement or at a gardening store. Layer about an inch

2: This step may be controversial and so skip it if you like. The best results will be delayed a bit tho. Mix a weak
solution of rubbing alcohol and water and spray the stones lightly a few times a day for a few days. This will
kill instantly much of the problem :)

3: And this is the big one. Mosquito netting (no-seeum) was cut into 18 squares, large enough to drape over the edge of the pots. Slit from the middle of one edge to just a tich past center. Drape around the base of the plant like a Christmas tree skirt, overlap the slit edges and use two straightpins to keep it closed. Use twine, string, or as I do, stretch cord to hold the skirt in place, sealed, around the pot.

Done! If your soil is the only place for the critters to feed and lay eggs they will be blocked completely. You will see an immediate, I mean same day, reduction in pests and after the adults die from starvation in two and a half days my flying pests are gone. Eggs will keep hatching into larvae for 4 days, then become larvae for up to 10 days. After the pupae stage, those that made it that far will be the last to live.
It is day three since I did this, the plants have staged a remarkable recovery and I can watch for a long time and not see a single gnat.
The skirt alone will work, the first two steps just speed things up :)

Hope this helps
Debs

The Mosquito Bits (BT) smell terrible and I don't think I'll ever use them in an indoor grow again. I use diatomacious earth mixed in the top 1" or so of the soil and put a sticky trap on each side of each stem spanning the pot both to keep them off the soil (as above) and catch/kill them. Very effective. Also holds moisture in the pots.

I have had good luck with a vinegar trap set next to my plants. The little suckers love the smell and drown in it. Quick vinegar trap - small jar 1/2 filled with apple cider vinegar, cover with plastic wrap, secure with a rubber band. Poke holes in the plastic wrap. Gnats go in, cant get out and drown . (Or get a cheap grated cheese shaker and fill with vinegar.., I use this and works well)

"Minnesota Department of Agriculture" Those guys are doing great things for gardening. I've found help there as much as I have here! I recommend eveybody go there and spend some free time reading about the bugs that ruin our grows!

Back
Top Bottom