Georgia: State Lawmaker Admits To Breaking The Law For Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

A metro mom admits she got marijuana on the black market to allow her autistic child relief from violent rages.

The mom told her story exclusively to Channel 2's Lori Geary in the hopes it will help lead to an expansion of Georgia's medical marijuana law.

"I got to the point I was afraid of her. You're afraid to hold your little girl because she's going to hurt you. I had scars, I had bite marks," the woman said.

Her 5-year-old daughter has severe autism. The mom shared heartbreaking video with Geary showing the dad trying to restrain the 5-year-old to stop her from severely biting herself.

The little girl's mom says for nine months nonstop they tried everything to stop the raging.

"You name the psych med, we tried it," she said. "There's well over 30 different supplements and medicines."
She says that's when she took the law and her daughter's life into her own hands.

"It scared me half to death to think I had to resort to the black market," she said.

Understandably, the mom wouldn't say where she gets the drugs, only that she's doing it to save her child's life.

Geary talked to Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter, who represents the prosecuting attorneys' council, which opposes the new bill to allow the growing of medical marijuana in Georgia and expand the list of conditions that would include autism.

He said in these cases, he would not prosecute.

"I'm not going to send that type of person to prison. I'm committed to that," Porter said.

Mom says seeing her daughter accomplishing everyday tasks makes it all worth the risk.

"I hear stories about fathers shooting their sons and themselves because they probably go through this," she said. "If there's help and there's a solution, who's stopping us?"

The mom says the horrible raging episodes are now gone and she hasn't had to restrain her daughter since she started her on the medical marijuana back in October.

State lawmaker admits to breaking the law

State Rep. Allen Peake (R-Macon) said he's also breaking the law to get help for similar families.
Peake told Geary he's been getting medical marijuana from other states and bringing it into Georgia for families in need.

"We made sure that families properly registered with the state got access to medical cannabis, including delivering it to them if that's the only way we can make that happen," Peake said.

Peake is known as the godfather of the medical marijuana movement in Georgia. He fought to get the first law passed legalizing the possession of cannabis oil for some patients in Georgia. Now, he's helping them get it, as well.

He says there was a certain level of concern as a state lawmaker breaking the law, but it was worth it.
"Maybe at some point there is a need for civil disobedience. It comes down to, 'What would I do if it were my child?'" Peake said.

Peake has a new bill this year that would allow the growing of medical, not recreational, marijuana in Georgia under tight restrictions. It would also expand the number of conditions to qualify and includes autism, Alzheimer's and HIV.

Peake says families need access to medical marijuana in Georgia so they don't have to risk breaking federal law to carry it across state lines like he has.

"It's worth that risk to see the improvement in the quality of life for these children, and I'd do it again tomorrow if I had to," Peake told Geary.

Hearings begin Monday on Peake's expanded medical marijuana bill.

Opponents say the bill leads to a slippery slope of legalizing recreational marijuana.

allen_peake.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Georgia: State Lawmaker Admits To Breaking The Law For Medical Marijuana
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom