Georgia Voters Split On Recreational Marijuana Legalization

Jacob Redmond

Georgia voters are split on whether or not to legalize recreational marijuana.

The results of our exclusive 11Alive Survey USA poll are in, just as all eyes are on the state of Ohio. Voters there are deciding in Tuesday's election whether to legalize recreational marijuana.

Just 10 or 15 years ago, virtually no one who works in the Georgia State Capitol would have even mentioned the word marijuana. Now, they may have no choice but to listen to their constituents. Four states and the District of Columbia now allow legal recreational marijuana — could Georgia be next?

In an exclusive scientific poll commissioned by 11Alive News and conducted by Survey USA, we asked 1,787 registered voters, "Should the use of marijuana for recreational use by adults in Georgia remain against the law?"

46 percent of respondents said yes, while 45 percent said to make it legal. Another 10 percent said they were not sure.

Georgia recently approved the use of cannabis oil to treat some medical conditions. Some feel that it is high time to address the use of marijuana for the masses.

"I think there's a growing trend across this country," said James Bell. "People are supporting decriminalization, legalization of cannabis all across this country, and certainly, it's taken effect here in Georgia."

James Bell is part of a group being formed called "Let Us Vote Georgia" to put the question on the ballot in next year's election.

"We believe perhaps 21 would be an acceptable age to use marijuana," he said. "Perhaps one to four ounces might be an acceptable personal use amount to possess."

Others say don't let these close poll numbers fool you. Republican strategist Brian Robinson says pot is still a political hot potato.

"We're not in a place yet where Republicans can run in a primary on legalizing marijuana and win their nomination," Robinson said. "Gov. Deal is not in favor of recreational marijuana, he's made that very clear -- so we're still a long way's off in Georgia but public sentiment is moving really quickly."

There's one resolution in the Senate right now asking for voters to consider a constitutional amendment to legalize marijuana.

We'll have to wait and see if other legislation appears in the coming session.

16045.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Georgia Voters Split On Recreational Marijuana Legalization
Author: Duffie Dixon And Michael King
Photo Credit: Department Of Justice

"We believe perhaps 21 would be an acceptable age to use marijuana"
This does bother me somewhat, just as the age for alcohol. We send 18 year olds to war yet say that they are too young to smoke a joint or have a drink...yet they can smoke cigarettes.

Ganja should be treated no different than aspirin or robitussin. The split in Georgia could of been altered by adding another 10 people to the survey. Other things like ethnicity and religion can influence these polls. Most people I know could care less if you smoke or grow pot as long as long as it isn't interfering with their personal business.

I have lived in Georgia my entire life, close to 50 years now and in all that time I can count on one hand the people I have met that are even remotely worried about Cannabis and the vast majority of everyone I have ever met here actually smoke Cannabis so I believe this whole being "split" thing is just plain hog wash. I feel with total certainty that if given a chance to vote on it then it would be a landslide victory in favor of legalization here in Georgia, without a doubt.

They're just not asking the right people, they probably waited outside of a church and asked those people what they thought about it as to get a negative response so they could say we are "split" but those people don't speak for the vast majority of Georgian's, I know better than that, these are my peeps and we love our reefer here in the "Peach"!
:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom