Gone To Pot

T

The420Guy

Thank heavens nobody takes our sideshow of a prime minister seriously anymore.

Jean Chretien's irrelevancy will hopefully help to diffuse any damage his recent comments about smoking pot will cause to our youth, to the valid argument behind decriminalizing pot and to our relations with our largest trading partner, the United States.

During his last scheduled visit to Manitoba as prime minister, Chretien was asked how he felt to have bills to decriminalize marijuana and legalize same-sex marriages as the "exclamation points" to his political career.

He started out quite well actually. "The decriminalization of marijuana is making normal what is the practice," said Chretien during an interview with a Winnipeg paper that was published yesterday.

"It is still illegal, but do you think Canadians want their kids, 18 years old or 17, who smoke marijuana once and get caught by the police, to have a criminal record for the rest of their life?"

It's a good question. We think not.

"So let's make the law adjust to the realities," Chretien added. "It is still illegal, but they will pay a fine."

After making those surprisingly lucid comments, however, Chretien mused: "I don't know what is marijuana. Perhaps I will try it when it will no longer be criminal. I will have my money for my fine and a joint in the other hand."

What, pray tell, is the man on? It's not marijuana clearly, but you really have to wonder.

Opponents of decriminalization have always argued that easing up on pot enforcement would cause every idiot in the country to smoke a joint.

Well, now they will claim they are right.

After all, when a 69-year-old prime minister publically contemplates puffing some pot, it sends a signal to young kids who otherwise might never have tried it that it is perfectly legal and socially acceptable.

The Liberals have claimed that was never the intent of the changes in the marijuana laws.

But given Chretien's confusing comment, we really have to wonder.

Or was it yet another failed attempt by our PM to make a little joke.

Either way, the comment was completely inappropriate.

Pubdate: Sat, 04 Oct 2003
Source: Calgary Sun, The (CN AB)
Copyright: 2003 The Calgary Sun

Back
Top Bottom