Gov. Lincoln Chafee Pulls Plug On Medical Marijuana Program

Jacob Bell

Gov. Lincoln Chafee is pulling the plug on the state's medical marijuana program, according to The Providence Journal.

On Thursday, Chafee announced the state's medical marijuana program cannot proceed "under current law," according to The Journal's article.

Advocates for medical marijuana dispensaries rallied at the Rhode Island State House Tuesday to try and convince the governor to give the OK to three compassion centers previously approved for a license.

Last spring, Dr. Seth Bock's proposal for the Greenleaf Compassionate Center in Portsmouth was one of three in Rhode Island approved for licenses by the Department of Health.

But the process got put on hold by Gov. Lincoln Chafee in May, after U.S. Attorney Peter F. Neronha issued a letter saying he did not support the centers. At the time, Chafee said he wanted to discuss the issue with other governors before making a final call.

Dr. Bock told Patch then that he supported the governor's decision, and that he hoped Chafee's conversations with other state leaders led to a "larger movement in getting the federal government on a program to help patients."

Bock, who owns and operates the Newport Acupuncture and Wellness Spa in Middletown, intended to open his non-profit medical marijuana center at 200 Highpoint Ave., Unit B-6, in Portsmouth.

abb6.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: middletown.patch.com
Author: Angela Lemire
Copyright: Patch
Website: Gov. Lincoln Chafee Pulls Plug on Medical Marijuana Program

Thanks to the threats from D.C. another Gov. has lost his nerve and proves that he is a spineless puppet of the Obama gang. RD :peace::peace::peace::peace:

A lot of things are backwards here in RI, medical marijuana being only one of them but it's almost impossible to get an mj card here. Any doctor can recommend marijuana to a patient but my doctor laughed in my face. There are no dispensaries here either which makes me wonder what the point of having an mj card if I can't buy the stuff. A card will allow people to grow their own but my house would probably get broken in to and robbed not to mention the feds could take my house because it's still a felony to cultivate marijuana. I'd feel safer just buying the stuff at a dispensary. I have degenerative disk disease and traditional pain killing medicine makes it impossible for me to work but a couple of tokes the night before and I'm mostly fine the next day.

Back
Top Bottom