Government's Bong Ban 'Will Harm Cannabis Smokers'

Herb Fellow

The Rann Government's ban on bongs will not stop drug use and could have dangerous flow-on effects on the health of pot smokers, according to users and experts. The State Government last night passed tough new laws so anyone selling cannabis bongs or drug implements will face fines of up to $50,000 or two years in jail.

The laws cover the sale of implements such as hookahs, bongs, c*****e kits and pipes used to smoke deadly crystal m*************e, otherwise known as i*e.

One local drug expert, pharmacology associate professor Rodney Irvine, said users will seek other ways to inhale smoke and that could be more dangerous.
"When you close one loophole another one emerges, a different pattern of use emerges," he said, "They'll make them out of anything, obviously. "I would say that there's a possibility those alternative homemade ones will have some problems." Dr Irvine said smoking through a bong or water pipe was probably slightly less dangerous than using joints or pipes.

"Intuitively, I would say that smoking anything through a water pipe is a better option than smoking it in a joint or a spliff," he said. "If you're smoking tobacco through a water pipe you've got cooler smoke. If there's cooler smoke, there are less volatile substances, therefore less tar."

Many cannabis smokers said they would simply make their own pipes from household goods.

SA Attorney-General Michael Atkinson said the legislation - introduced by independent MLC Ann Bressington - responded to the widespread public concern that paraphernalia intended for use with illicit drugs was freely available in South Australia. "The Rann Labor Government has banned the bong,'' he said.

"Commercial outlets retailing drug paraphernalia in South Australia will now either have to shut up shop, as Smoke Signals at No. 34 Hindley Street has done, or find another line of business.''

Until now, courts had to establish, beyond reasonable doubt, that the person in possession of the equipment intended to use it in connection with preparing or consuming an illegal drug. "To my knowledge just a handful of cases have been brought against commercial outlets selling drug paraphernalia because of the difficulty of proving that the seller intended the equipment be used in connection with preparing or consuming an illicit drug," Mr Atkinson said.

Source: News.com.au Top stories | News from Australia and around the world online | News.com.au
Copyright: 2008, News.com.au Top stories | News from Australia and around the world online | News.com.au
Website: Government's bong ban 'will harm cannabis smokers' | NEWS.com.au

Holy shit. You guys gonna have to start some major reforms and protests. The bong and pipe have been around as long as mankind, what makes them think they have the power to BAN them?

I would start posting pictures of this guy standing next to Hitler and staple them to every post in Australia.

Yeah, they banned bongs in my city, the DA there had a horrible term so he figured any change would be good for his lacking legacy so he attacked head shops. He said they carried illegal drug paraphernalia which is stupid because one they are sold for tobacco use only and medical marijuana is legal in my state so the head shop is NOT responsible for the illegal use of it's products. The DA also said that "kids" were going into the shop and buying the products which is illegal and that problem should have been tackled instead of an all out prohibition. Plus it is only click away online and your bongs will be sent to you in the mail, so now the city will not get tax revenue from the purchase. So fucking stupid.

Back
Top Bottom