green roots?

albertgrow123

my freind has just started using the Deep Water Culture system,it is a 15-20 litre bucket,clear plastic,he has 3 nets in there quarter submerged,the plants were doing fine but have slowed down a bit,the p.h is still at 6.0 for the resovoir,he went out for the day when he returned,the roots looked green,and the tank was a bit green,he only changed the water 4 days ago????will this greening of the roots harm the plants,also is there any way of getting rid of it????:Rasta:

any help would be exellent!

many regards

albertgrow123

Re: green roots?????

It's algea. He needs to immediately get some algeacide from a pet store/wal-mart and use as directed. The cause of the bloom is almost certainly the clear containers, he needs to light-proof them immediately or this will be an ongoing problem resulting in the loss of his grow. The ph is also a little high, although this could be caused by the algea, get it down to 5.5-5.8.

thanks southern,good to hear from you.....again lol.when you say protect from light,cant quite` remember what was put,would this possibalycoat the container with paint etc...if so is it inside/outside??,will tell him to lower ph,so any good algae remover/pond algae remover any good!!!,just found a local store that pretty much everything,quite a good find!!!it has only started today,so caught it early,any advice is welcomed,also would algae appear if bubble pump is a bit vicious,ie a high rate of air pump??????

Paint or wrap the outside of the buckets. Any algeacide will do. Algea will appear in the presence of light, active bubble will slow, but not stop, the onset. Get the roots in the dark.

The use of h2o2 in a Deep Water Culture system would be of limited benefit, provided there is adequate bubble action in the res.

I beg to differ.

I use 35% food grade H2O2 every 4-7 days in my DWC and have never had green roots tho you need to limit light entering the nute zone. Duct tape would work and make Red Green proud! Tin foil and a little duct tape would work too. I picked up a 4L jug of 35% at a commercial greenhouse for $53 Canadian and it can be stored in the freezer for years. I add at 0.5ml/L or 2.0ml/USG. At that concentration it's only 0.02%. I think I'm gonna have to bump that % up a little. 1% is 28.50ml/L, 3% is 85.50 etc. 35% can be diluted 11 to 1 to get 3% but should be used within a couple of weeks to retain it's potency as it has no stabilizers like the 3% you can buy at the local drugstore. Keep in a cool dark place.

I have warned folks away from using the drug store 3% because of the stabilizers but I've seen stuff on straight folks hydro sites that leads me to believe that it will work in a pinch. It's not cheap tho. 500ml @ 3% for $1.99 X 11 to equal 35% X 8 to equal 4L = $175.12 + Taxes!!!!!! OMFG! I never sat and figured that out before. I got a deal at $53 for sure.

Some of my recent research into peroxide has shown to me that what I've been doing will not only prevent a multitude of problems with all things hydroponic but is very useful for soil/less mixtures and organic grows as well to enhance growth, boost the plants immune system and make your babies purr.

With soil based applications the strength is reduced to 0.25-0.50% or lower. The aerobic bugs, (good), will love the oxygen boost and the anaerobic bugs, (BAD!), will die by the billions. It also messes with any insects living in your grow medium.

Added to foliar feeding it helps knock down bacteria, virus, mite eggs and dust particles on leaf surfaces.

As soon as I can get all the stuff I found formatted I'll up it here for everyone's perusal.

By the way SouthernWeed, I didn't ramble on like that to dis you or anything. I'm a bit of a zealot when it comes to the benefits of H2O2 and use it in many aspects of my life. Gargle, wet the toothbrush before and after brushing, intestinal cleanse, sterilizing stuff with it instead of bleach. Chlorine bad, oxygen good kind of thing.

Many of my previous posts are about H2O2 and other things herbally related.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom