Grow bulb and/or ballast break-in period required?

bluthird

I've searched the forum (and googled) but I must not be using a effective search string. Years ago, back in 1980 when I first bought a HPS grow light, I think I recall the instructions stating that the bulb needed to "break-in" (maybe the ballast too?) Maybe I was just smoking too much back then :lot-o-toke:

Anyways, I'm just setting up a brand new grow tent and I have a 1000 watt system with both a 1000 watt MH and HPS bulb.
Getting ready to do dry runs of ventilation and lighting and was wondering if I need to be concerned with a new ballast and bulb start up. i.e. let it run for a certain amount of hours, or don't turn on and off within short periods of time etc. BTW, I have an adjustable ballast, 50%, 75% and 100% power settings, if that makes any diff.

:420:

I don't think there is a break in period. If you look at the lumens/time graph for most bulbs, there is an initial fall off, so maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Don't turn it OFF and then back ON to quick. I think it's OK to turn the bulbs off before they completely warm up, but it's a bad idea to turn the bulbs back on before they cool.

I do remember way back when they wanted you to do a burn in on florescent lights and fixtures.. Now a day,s I do not think that is a factor. I do how ever run this little piece that is a low voltage or spike timer to protect against Hot starts ..
When the HLC-2e is powered up, it constantly monitors the incoming power to your equipment. When you connect the HLC-2e to your grow lights, it will sense a power interruption, and start a 15 minute time-delay to keep the lights from trying to re-start while the bulbs cool down.

Specifications:

Main power voltage: 120 volts
Maximum amperage: 15 amps
Time Delay: 15 Minutes
Operating temperature range 30-120o F
Operating humidity range: 0-99% RH (non-condensing)

Simply plug the C.A.P. HLC-2e into your lighting timer, then plug your ballast or MLC into the outlet on the front face. Set the maximum temperature that your garden can sustain using the knob on the front. The HLC-2e power light (green) should be on at all times while it is receiving power. The red "Delay On" light will be solid for 15 minutes after powering on your light timer.

The HLC-2e 15-Minute-On-Delay Timer is warranted against defects in workmanship and parts for Three Years.

Back
Top Bottom