Grow Room Advice

Reject_420

Hi, I'll be starting my 1st grow soon, but have a few questions to ask 1st.
My grow room is going to be a closet 4ft (wide) x 2ft-8" (deep) x 6ft (high). How many plants do you think I could fit into a space that size. I only plan on letting them grow to about 10-12 inches before i switch to 12/12 lighting. I'll be useing a 250w hps light to flower them and cfl's for vegging. Is 250w going to be enough for that space? I'd also like to ask if Northern Lights is a good strain for 1st time growers? A friend of mine ordered some awhile back, and has just been growing off of clones since his 1st grow, so he's going to give me 10 of them. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. SMOKE ON:allgood:

250 is kinda low for 10 plants hehe. The two or three directly under it will prolly be pretty healthy though, but the others might suffer a lil bit if you got all 10 under there.

When those ten plants start flowering, that space is going to be awfully cramped. You might want to figure your available square footage, then compare the area needed for 10 two gallon (minimum) pots. I'm growing ONE plant in an area half that size, and the bitch eats up most of that space. I don't know for sure, but check on the VEG thread to see if that 250W HSP is ok for vegging. It'd take a shit load of CFL's to light 5 plants for vegging, much less 10 if you want good results.

Looks like your HSP won't work to well for vegging, just read a piece on them, thought I'd pass it along.

I won't be growing all ten seeds I'm only going to germ 4 of them and hope for at least one or two females. I wouldnt even attempt to fit all 10 plants in a grow area that small. As for vegging them I'll be useing floro's. Then switch them out for the 250w hps for flowering. Thanks for the advice. I guess i should have worded a little better. I'm hopeing that the space can at least fit two plants. You measure square feet by multiplying Width and Height rite?

Urdedpal said:
You might want to use both sets of lights for flowering, 250 is kinda low and the flouros would help.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. That's what I'll probably end up doing. I would have bought a 400w hps, but money is a little tight at the moment. I still might pick one up though when I get a little more money, but I'll try out the floro's and 250w hps together first to see what kind of results I get.

Reject_420 said:
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. That's what I'll probably end up doing. I would have bought a 400w hps, but money is a little tight at the moment. I still might pick one up though when I get a little more money, but I'll try out the floro's and 250w hps together first to see what kind of results I get.

A 400W is going to throw off a good amount of heat. You will need to ventilate the closet well.

Yes Ventilation is key, I heard especially in the vegitative stage. If it's too hot all the time, you gonna have a room full of males.

DankCloset said:
how much did you pay for the 250w hps?
I only payed $60 for it. I bought it off the guy that gave me the seeds. I have two holes cut in the closet for venting out the room, with small computer fans fitted in them. Intake is at the lower/mid section of the closet and the outtake is located on the other side of the closet near the top since heat rises. It's been working alright for the 250w lamp. I had it on for 24 hours in there to test and see what the tempture would be, and it only got to around 73*f in there. I'll probably have to improve on the venting when i get a 400watt lamp, but it's fine for what i have now.

I would only have 2 plants maximum in that grow space when you go to flower, other wise they will fight for light and streach a shitload. Your space is a bit bigger than my first grow space, I cramed in 4 and ended up with tall stringey plants. Running both sets of lights for flower is a great idea though and I second that thought. Also from personal experience in small grow spaces make sure you have GOOD ventalation, other wise you will have a high average temp and will either evaporate water out of the soil or your hydro set up if the resivoir is in the same hot area.

Read the threads started by Urdedpal

I also suggest buying The Cannabis Grow Bible. Its over 400 pgs of great info and will take you from beginning to end of your grow, so either you can read it all at once or as you go. I suggest reading through then following allong with your grow in the book. This book is the best peice of equipment you can buy in my opinion.

Brett2theMax said:
I also suggest buying The Cannabis Grow Bible. Its over 400 pgs of great info and will take you from beginning to end of your grow, so either you can read it all at once or as you go. I suggest reading through then following allong with your grow in the book. This book is the best peice of equipment you can buy in my opinion.

I'd be real careful about ordering anything from Amazon that is grow related as Amazon and Paypal hand over info to LEO no questions asked. At a bare minimum, ship it to safe address. (Receiving an Amazon box at work should be no problem for many) You might also try fsbookco as they might not be reporting directly to the US government. However, the government will just lean on UPS or whomever to tell them where stuff was shipped. Believe it or not, the least trackable shipping company right now is the USPS.... They just deliver the stuff, and keep very poor records of anything shipped through them. (signature required has a trail)

I second the vote for the book. It's pure gold and you should snag a copy.

However, once again (with feeling), NEVER SHIP ANYTHING GROW RELATED TO YOUR GROW ADDRESS!!!

:peace:

DankCloset said:
come on at least he knew the right spectrum, iam gettin a 150watter hps for my closet. 4 plants. and some clones.
I used 190 watts one time for 4 plants and they were kinda stretchy and only yielded about 3/4 oz per plant. But then again i wasnt using SCROG or anything. So ya it might work, but i only put 4 in the closet not all 10. I ahd the same space and i worked ok. I just trimmed most of the bottom branches and concentrated on the tops. I wish i would have trained and used a screen

The last time i was on ebay they had 400 watt HPS's for less than hundred i think the brand was budget pretty nice set up

Back
Top Bottom