Grow Security & Connectivity: Cameras, Locks, etc

Discussion came up in the grow house journal of @Hyena Merica, so I thought I would take the side-track over here and not further distract from his excellent journal.

Quick back history of the continuing discussion: Whether or not having cameras monitoring your grow, that you can view online, is a security risk or not. Some would be nervous and not want to do it, I've suggested that it's possible under the right security precautions. Specifically, only allowing the cameras to be viewed over the local network, setting up a VPN into the local network, and then only allowing access to the internal network for authorized devices.

As appealing as having video access to your grow site, thats just a scary thought to me....even in a legal state. I think you are making the right decision in not putting cameras up.

In the long run, maybe. Obviously can't get hacked if there isn't anything there to hack into in the first place. Me personally, I'm comfortable enough to set something up that's going to keep all but the most determined out. Of course at that point being a target becomes less feasible as the effort far outweighs the reward.

I do think it is possible to set up a stealthy, secure, remote viewing of the grow. It wouldn't be for the faint of heart, and would take some good tech skills, but properly set up would be secure enough that it wouldn't be worth any script-kiddies time to try and break in.

First and foremost, anyone from the outside network (aka: internet) would not be aware that the cameras are even there. So they wouldn't know what cameras to hack to begin with.

The overall concept (big picture) is something like this:

internet -> VPN -> Internal Network Device Authentication -> Camera Viewing

With a properly setup VPN (with stupid long passwords and secret, the kind you can't remember), that's the biggest battle right there. If the username is also something along the same line, even better.

If the VPN is set up to only allow access from specific IP addresses, that makes it even tighter. Of course that assumes you only check from a location(s) with dedicated IP's. (Note that the network being logged into also needs a static IP, although there are ways around that if need be. Typically anymore, with good broadband access, IP's don't change nearly as frequently as they used to.)

Once logged into the VPN, the router further scrutinizes the device accessing the network. If it's not an authorized device, it can't access any network resources (or see them.)

Then of course you have the camera software itself, and its login/authentication as well.

Now obviously if something is connected to the internet, there is always a chance. Proper network security really, really lessens that chance significantly. Why? Because most of the "attacks" are from script kiddies that are looking for an easy target to hit. They find a little port scanner, looking for something vulnerable. A proper network setup thwarts that. No ping response, nothing visible from the outside; move along, nothing to see here.

Whether or not the time invested in that is worth it to someone, that's another matter. Someone not comfortable with setting up a router, firewall, VPN, etc should probably not attempt it. However it can, and does, work.

What are some benefits of having a remote monitoring setup like that?

First, and most obvious, is checking on your plants. Are they still there? Did something happen?

Next, with the right camera or combination of cameras, if you have a constant monitoring device for temp/ph/humidity/res level/etc then you could see that at any time and check your parameters.

Next would be having additional cameras outside of the garden for additional security.

The types of cameras we're talking about have the ability to record to a local DVR, and either be on-demand only or motion triggered. The ones inside the garden would be on-demand, outside would be motion triggered.

These aren't your $100 nest cams that run over wifi. We're talking about much better, more secure systems.

Of course you're not going to go running to johnny law if someone breaks into your grow (unless you're a fully licensed, legal business and then that's different, even if your grow is legal), but maybe it's someone you recognize and then, well... oops.

So, what other nifty security ideas do others have?

Me, I have a brute force magnetic lock with access control to the part of the house where my (legal) garden is located. Why? Meh, something different than just a lock or whatever. It's a gadget, and I like toys. :D I did of course take precautions in case of an issue with it, and can disable it with a switch that is hidden in another part of the house.

From the outside, just walking by, it looks like a normal interior door. I hid the keypad in the closet next to it, in what looks like a breaker box. ;) Not that it overly matters, but I wouldn't want a nosy guest wandering around and wondering what was up with that.

At some point I would like to build a purely dedicated room for an indoor garden. Set up filtration, ventilation, water supply and drainage, etc. Then not worry about messing with a tent. With the right space I could modularize it to be able to have separate veg/flower spots. But that's for another time, and another house in a few years.

Of course the biggest security is keeping your mouth shut. ;)

Tough topic. Security is a trade off between ease of use and a lack of risk.

I hear you that you can buy equipment and secure it....you better be willing to pay a security professional or know someone you can really trust to do it. And now theres another person involved (but nerds do love weed).

Computer security has so many opportunities to miss a tiny thing, which unfortunately sometimes means you might have not even bothered at all

...and you need to know about things like:

->what type of tech are you using for the VPN? Is it site-2-site, does it encrypt the headers, is the company reputable, did you verify the certificates? hows your password? does it connect to a server, a desktop or the DVR system? Is the VPN an app on your Windows box or is it the IPSEC protocol?

->is every device that interacts with the DVR/CCTV system now secure? your phone? your laptop? that library computer you checked in on?

->are you going to wear a mask in your grow now? I hope you live in a leagal state lol I'd hate to be the one busting yourself by taping your grow to be used later. Which reminds me, how is the system protected in case of a raid? Will you be able to keep the bad guys out of your system?

A few more quick things, im trying not to spend too much time on this:

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the CCTV is only viewable from the LAN, its going to be sent over the web. If this is your option, I would advise DVR system > server > firewall > router w/ VPN installed on it > web

Check out shodan (dot com, I think) its google for web cams that people hooked up real shitty. Learn from this.

The police WILL hack your shit, use it to show a FISA court (they wont mind it was illegal) so they can get a warrant and raid. In court, they had the warrant which means what they saw when raiding was legal....its called parallel investigation (it hides their crimes while exposing only yours). If you think this wont happen, you are sadly mistaken and have too much respect for their integrity.

My recommendation: get a camera system and DONT point it at the grow, instead use it for security: put one inside pointing at the door (and nothing else in the frame) and the rest HIDDEN outside.

I just dont see much of a benefit from having a CCTV system on your grow to monitor it anyway. I dont know your situation, but what real use would it provide anyway? You cant diagnose plant problems with it. You can really only tell somethings going wrong when its too late (lights still not on or plants wilting or obvious amount of standing water flooding the room). If you are waiting this much time in between putting in some face time with your plants, you either have a very expensive setup and its a moot point anyway OR you are not very serious about it (so dont waste the money).

There are systems to alert you for various things anyway:

-heat-sensor motion detector (some models can send texts to your phone) - make sure no ones in your area when away
-electronic door locks (can send texts too, can log, etc) - log of every time the door was opened/by who, more secure lock
-expensive UPS/battery backups that can hook to web and let you know which ports are being powered and if theres a power outage, how long battery has been on, if charged, etc.

...and we all know the devices that can help automate a grow.

edit: Security professionals will tell you that cameas dont prevent anything, they only document that something happened or can show you whats happening now.

All very good points. I agree with most of them. I think there can be a use for it, but as you said it's limited real world cases. Original discussion was around a remote, legal grow. One where it can be a few days between face time, so remote monitoring of some sort could be an option.

It's a fine rope to walk, and as I mentioned not one for the less technically inclined.

And it definitely wouldn't prevent anything, but pointed at some sensors/monitors/power indicators wouldn't be terrible. I agree that even if it's only connectable once inside the LAN, that it still ends up over an internet connection, but that connection is also over a secure tunnel and not in the wild.

Not really a very relevant topic just for cameras, but overall security isn't a bad topic to have around. :)

I am secluded in my 4 locations. Each are on from 40-100 acres in size and are in the boonies. And EVERY single one is still wired up with security cameras. Even my testing and breeding facility.. Anywhere I can point a camera I will.. I am using SWAN security systems and they have NEVER failed me in the past. And there have been a select few who tempted to rob me. But their faces where clear as light on camera and the authorities where able to make a definitive arrest. Legal or not.. DO NOT be stupid and not have some form of video surveillance... worst comes to worst, you can engrave his or her face in your skull, just encase you notice them in public.. But most importantly, when your following the rules, you can call the police and provide your video evidence to them.. Most idiots who try to rob someone already have a criminal record. So with a face to match,,,,,, easy find.. Then you have the last laugh. :) as for the "hackers",,,, lol.. that's a joke right?? Lol:laugh:

As for cameras in the grow. Its essential sometimes to have them. Encase you get a fire, or something odd happen, you can see how it all happened. And the insurance companies for the failed hardware will easily pay for your damages. If you don't have video footage, sometimes it's VERY difficult to prove it was their faulty product.. also, If your someone hackers want to hunt down, then you are proooobably legit. And insured. Then the gov pays,, even for their attempt at robbing you, if anything is damaged that is.. Lol

I absolutly :green_heart: being leagle. I can't believe the crap we went through back in the day.... Now we are respected in what we do.:passitleft:

:goof: :Namaste:

Agreed cameras that don't show the actual plants would be the only way I would consider putting them in. I use trail cams outside pointed at the doors. Only good if something bad happens, not as a monitor. But it'll give me something to go on

All very good points. I agree with most of them. I think there can be a use for it, but as you said it's limited real world cases. Original discussion was around a remote, legal grow. One where it can be a few days between face time, so remote monitoring of some sort could be an option.

It's a fine rope to walk, and as I mentioned not one for the less technically inclined.

And it definitely wouldn't prevent anything, but pointed at some sensors/monitors/power indicators wouldn't be terrible. I agree that even if it's only connectable once inside the LAN, that it still ends up over an internet connection, but that connection is also over a secure tunnel and not in the wild.

Not really a very relevant topic just for cameras, but overall security isn't a bad topic to have around. :)

Oh, well if its legal then by all means! Cams would only be a good idea for a legal state, since you didn't mention I assumed you weren't in a legal state. Being remote would also be a good idea for the cams on the grow....it wont do much, but it would be more a benefit than not.

For the securing of the connection to the cams, I would use a VPN for sure but just make a good password and a VPN that isnt crap. (ie NordVPN, BlackVPN, AirVPN) I believe with Swan systems you can set it up in the menu...somewhere around proxy settings.
:lot-o-toke:

I am using SWAN security systems and they have NEVER failed me in the past.

And there have been a select few who tempted to rob me. But their faces where clear as light on camera

:) as for the "hackers",,,, lol.. that's a joke right?? Lol:laugh:

There are multiple (software/firmware) security vulnerabilities for Swan DVRs, including just stealing the damn thing. They are the Walmart brand of security cameras. BTW Walmart uses real cameras. Which reminds me, I should add... if you are streaming the connection online, you might as well back it up to the cloud. A fire for flood could easily destroy the camera system and then no video to send to anyone.

Ski masks exist. Maybe your protecting against teenagers in the neighborhood but some people have a more realistic view of who will be burglarizing their grows.

And, no, that's no joke. :nomo:
We do dis.

Oh, well if its legal then by all means! Cams would only be a good idea for a legal state, since you didn't mention I assumed you weren't in a legal state. Being remote would also be a good idea for the cams on the grow....it wont do much, but it would be more a benefit than not.

For the securing of the connection to the cams, I would use a VPN for sure but just make a good password and a VPN that isnt crap. (ie NordVPN, BlackVPN, AirVPN) I believe with Swan systems you can set it up in the menu...somewhere around proxy settings.
:lot-o-toke:

There are multiple (software/firmware) security vulnerabilities for Swan DVRs, including just stealing the damn thing. They are the Walmart brand of security cameras. BTW Walmart uses real cameras. Which reminds me, I should add... if you are streaming the connection online, you might as well back it up to the cloud. A fire for flood could easily destroy the camera system and then no video to send to anyone.

Ski masks exist. Maybe your protecting against teenagers in the neighborhood but some people have a more realistic view of who will be burglarizing their grows.

And, no, that's no joke. :nomo:
We do dis.

As for using a VPN. 110% a MUST. :thumb::passitleft:

As for fire or flood ruining my security system. Yes. But, all my recorded data go's straight to my phone. And also, they all are backed up on a server off each of my locations. Everything is wireless now. :) loves it...

I guess the confusion Is, I'm in Canada. The best country in the world to cultivate marijuana legally.. from what I gather, the states are a mess with it all. Some states allow it, some dont... lol what a joke our governing systems are. Even Canadian laws are laughable surrounding cannabis.. But MUCH better then anyone else worldwide all that being said. :ganjamon::Namaste:

Got to have the backups for proof just in case! Off-site is best, but Canada has very few natural disaster threats from what I understand. I think yall are used to snow and cold by now, so that's not much of an issue. Its the maple syrup that'll get ya.

Being Canadian makes sense now....I'm in America. As I'm sure you know, our government is borderline Nazi at this point. Although they do so far leave legal grows alone. Didnt our government hack your Presidents phone when Obama was in office?

Got to have the backups for proof just in case! Off-site is best, but Canada has very few natural disaster threats from what I understand. I think yall are used to snow and cold by now, so that's not much of an issue. Its the maple syrup that'll get ya.

Being Canadian makes sense now....I'm in America. As I'm sure you know, our government is borderline Nazi at this point. Although they do so far leave legal grows alone. Didnt our government hack your Presidents phone when Obama was in office?

Well, 1 thing can be said about your current President. He is litteraly your best president to date. Factually he really is and best liked world wide... Makes the goof obummer look like a Injured mutt.. that being said. Canadas prime minister is just as bad as obama.... at least you guys have a president who gets things done. At least he does what he says... our soon to be, 'kicked to the curb' "prime minister",, is a joke worldwide... embarresses us.... Wherever I travel to in this world,, Everywhere I go,,, All I see is people who love trump. Or wish they had him as their "president/king/prime minitster/leader" .. I mean EVERYWHERE. Even Africa!!!!! Lol (seriously) But try turning on a western world news outlet.....LOL you hear MUCH different. Exact opposite actually.... All the lies and fakenews...

America is the biggest terrorists on Earth. And also the biggest liars. Especially their liberal ran news networks.... anywho. Lol a topic I'd rather not talk about here in this venue... boils my blood to even think about how our world works... back to clone day.. thanks for the convo!

Ps: I think I heard that also. And Obama hacked trump's phone also... lol and got caught. Haha 1 fact is REAL tho... Obama has the lowest IQ out of every president b4 him, and so far after.. he made america broke like a BOSS.... lol
:snowboating: :Namaste: :passitleft:

Anyone experience difficulty with Wifi cameras reaching through the tent (foil interior as is typical) to consistently connect with local owned password encrypted WiFi network on the router outside the tent? I’ve connected other cameras with well not zero issues but eventually resolved any issues. Now when attempting to connect one within a tent it’s so finicky connecting I can’t get it to consistently connect. Maybe I can add a camera dedicated router and resolve it. To use for vacation monitoring.....legal state.

Hi all I’ve been following along and would like to offer my 2 cents on the subject
of security. I grow both in and out, out I rely on my motion sensor lighting and my
rottie did I forget to mention my grandpa’s side by side.l don’t care who they are
In side it’s more of the same and don’t worry if I’m not home the place is wired
and my girl can’t wait to make new friends. WOOF I don’t need to see it on a screen
at a separate local, as for fire I purchased a fireball it hangs in the grow room and
at high temp will burst and extinguish the blaze sold in Europe can’t find here tho.
Chow for now

Anyone experience difficulty with Wifi cameras reaching through the tent (foil interior as is typical) to consistently connect with local owned password encrypted WiFi network on the router outside the tent? I’ve connected other cameras with well not zero issues but eventually resolved any issues. Now when attempting to connect one within a tent it’s so finicky connecting I can’t get it to consistently connect. Maybe I can add a camera dedicated router and resolve it. To use for vacation monitoring.....legal state.

I only know of a couple that are using remote cams off the top of my head. @Dano999 uses a Ring one, IIRC, and I think @Emilya uses a Wyze?

I don't recall either of them mentioning any connection issues. It could be a combination of weak signal and a crowded frequency spectrum?

I don't have anything in-tent at the moment myself, but I'm looking at adding some. Right now I only have a couple PoE cams in the area that I added onto my existing cam network.

my wyze camera works on wifi and works just fine inside the tent... why? That is not really foil. Test it for yourself with a VOM... the shiny inside of your tent is not conductive and it does not block radio waves. Lots of older cameras need quite a robust wifi connection to work correctly and some of the more modern ones use compression so that a slow wifi connection can still work. Your problem is that you have probably found a dead spot in your house where the wifi is not so strong. Try moving the antennas in the back of your router to change the pattern a little. Locate the camera in a different location, using a wifi sniffer to find a good spot for it, or just install a relay point near the tent.

2CAA8E7CDC94_1580742193357.png

@Emilya I kinda deduced the same thing, but I can't be sure. Just wondered if there's something about the tent, that inside coating, the meta and electronical devices (lights) in the tiny space. I think I need more Wi-Fi bandwidth. I'll try adding another router closer to the room where the camera will be. Pretty sure I've got a newish one not currently in use that's got good bandwidth, I'm gonna add that in. Or - Maybe I just need to do the connect disconnect reconnect dance a few half dozen more times......
:thanks:

I only know of a couple that are using remote cams off the top of my head. @Dano999 uses a Ring one, IIRC, and I think @Emilya uses a Wyze?

I don't recall either of them mentioning any connection issues. It could be a combination of weak signal and a crowded frequency spectrum?

I don't have anything in-tent at the moment myself, but I'm looking at adding some. Right now I only have a couple PoE cams in the area that I added onto my existing cam network.
I use Ring and Wyze with no problems. The Wyze now sits outside of the tent pointed at the levels on my BlueLab. I also have a wireless hygrometer which I can not connect to my wireless but it has Bluetooth which connects but only when I am near so it's useless when I travel. My router is about 30 ft away. If you can't get them to work it's probably a weak signal.

Thanks for all the great info!

Yeah, @Emilya I hadn’t thought too much about the inside of the tent; a relatively new addition for me — love it!! It would be counter productive and dangerous if the lining were conductive - duh me! :smokin:

Thanks for taking that off my list of things to worry about. :laughtwo:

Sometimes I squeeze myself in the tent to make some adjustment and it feels like I’m inside a really crowded portable shower with electrical cords and devices up where the shower head should be. It freaks me out. I also dance on ladders in my spare time - so I should probably limit the acrobatics while doing these kinda things. Be safe!

my wyze camera works on wifi and works just fine inside the tent... why? That is not really foil. Test it for yourself with a VOM... the shiny inside of your tent is not conductive and it does not block radio waves.
True, whoever mentioned that is thinking of a faraday cage, those block radio waves, etc whereas a mylar sheet would only block light waves.

I use Ring and Wyze with no problems.

Hope you live in a legal state although that wouldnt mean much to me. Amazon is a shady company and has deep ties to the CIA. After they bought Ring they designed a built-in portal for police to request your videos without much effort or subpoena...not to mention they are being sued for a complete lack of security (be ready for random 12 year olds to be hacking your cams).

I just read about the Ring portal. There is a way to ”opt out” — shady internet cos and their secret ways... Even if you don’t opt out, the article indicated that police would have to request access from you. So maybe it’s just a way to make it faster - for the ‘over 400 police departments’ - that partnered with Ring to get footage of a crime quickly while it’s useful. The partnership between Ring and LE would already be signed off by both parties so if customer says ok to police getting access, then big co decision by Ring is done already. But it is unnerving to know it’s set up this way.

Back
Top Bottom