Growing in a 50/40/10 coco/perlite/moss mix

Kushmanpl

420 Member
Hi,

For the past few years I've been making my own mix of 50%canna coco, 40% perlite, and 10% Sphagnum peat moss
I've always fed when pots would feel light, but recently on this forum among other places I've seen people talking about how they feed their plants once a day or even as much as 2-3x a day.

During the mid/late stages of flower my plants get to the point where they are light every other day, and I hand water them until there is 15-20% run off. So for ex. Day 1 feed. day 2 they will be still wet, Day3 they are usually ready to be fed again.

Is this the correct method of feeding the plants? I'm confused by some of the info thats out there. Some people swearing by feeding/watering every single day, and others like me, watering when the pots feel light/dry. Others also saying that coco mix is different from soil, that it should be watered everyday whereas soil is the one that should be allowed to dry out before watering.

Can someone give me a definitive answer as to what is the proper way of watering using the above mix I mentioned. I've been sitting for hours looking at different videos/posts and can't seem to draw a conclusion either way. Also, I read everywhere that I should water so that there is always run off, but when I do that, especially in the early stages of veg, it can take 3-4 days for the medium to dry sufficiently. Would it be better for me to spot water the plants at the start and then slowly increase the volume of water by the week? My plants start in 1 gal pots and finish in 3 gal pots.

If there is any confusion in my post, please reply and I will try to clarify. Thanks!

Kushman

EDIT: Also one question in regards to transplanting clones into 1 gal pots. I normally wet the medium fully with phed water + vit B + 1/4 strength nutes before transplanting the babies into the pots. Then follow that up with a spot touch on the plants.

Could this be whats causing such long times to dry? Should I not wet the medium before, and only spot touch right after transplant and continue spot feeding until more roots are established?

:welcome: to the forum...

I'm one of those folks growing in 70% coco / 30% perlite. I treat it as a drain to waste hydroponics system. I water once per day until the middle of veg, and then switch to twice per day. It works for me.

That "It works for me." is what is important. If your method works for you, that's great. We all have our own way of growing, so there's no right or wrong, only what works for us.

I do it regardless of the weight of the pot. It is always wet on top.

The roots need air, moisture, and nutrients for the plant to thrive. The coco/perlite drains quickly allowing air to reach the roots. The water doesn't form a table as it does in soil. There is enough water, carrying the nutrients to last through until the next watering. Watering until you get 10% or more run off washes the salts left behind by the plant away.

Could the peat be holding enough moisture where he's not having to water so often

Never ran coco just curious

I think that's the case. This seems to be a mix of styles using HP Pro Mix, and coco/perlite, so there's some aspects of both.

i use Cocoloco, Coco/perlite/peat mix. They like to dry almost completely out. Ive found if i watered daily, because i was told to treat like hydro, they hate it. Ive actually let them dry out completely, then even a few more days, and they never droop. I was floored to be honest.

best to do a experimental grow, in solo cups, and keep notes to when you notice the droop. but remember, if they droop, its to late to water, and mostlikey they will be damaged and slow growth.

even weight them if possible.

same as with PH. if it has peat, 6.8 PH is best, even in a coco base mix. Just things ive found myself.

I know many dont liek the GrowBoss, but he has great info on just this situation, and says, if its just perlite, water constant, if it has coco, let it dry out. Coco fibers HOLD nutes, and doesnt dry as fast as some think. Roots like air, and if they are constant saturated, they get little air. Roots search for water, which makes them grow in search,. If they dont have to reach, they will grow slow, because they dont have to grow because water is there for them already. bigger roots, bigger fruits. Check him out on the tube. his most recent videos are exactly what your asking bro.

I have always been adamant about daily fertigation in veg and twice a day in flower until lately. Some growers are watering less frequently and have good success as well - so both methods apparently work. Whether you do it daily or every few days, always feed to run off - it replenishes the nutes, pulls in fresh oxygen to the roots when it drains, and helps prevent salt build up in the medium. I think I'll stick with my method of frequent fertigation because I never have a problem. They don't call it drain to waste hydroponics for nothing. Good luck no matter what your decision.

the fact of the matter is, if you pour in water, and it HOLDS the water, then its a medium based and not hydro. Sure, you can water it 6 times a day if you wish, but your wasting nutes and water. Coco HOLDS water, and also has the ability to HOLD nutes, that the roots grow around. Your roots are being sustained with moisture due to humidity. also, dryn out the medium, makes the roots resistant to fungus that thrives on warm, moist environments, and letting it dry, fends off pathogens. In a hydro system, ( hydro ton clay ) there are gaps between the rocks, and in no time, the roots will dry totally out, because of warm air and evaporation. as to why they need replenished constantly with water. NOT necessarily needing Nutes every water, it rather needs H20 more so then the nutes. because you can over feed.

Back
Top Bottom