Had a brainwave!

potgoblin

Ok so for the last few days iv been wracking my brains and yours here on 420 for the best way to control the odor in my itty bitty grow cabinet i am soon going to be building and i'v finally built a prototype carbon filter :D.

iv taken an old 25gram plastic fish food tub and cut a circle in the lid and in the base slightly smaller than the pc fan i have wired up, then i used electrical tape to secure the fan onto the lid so it sucks air through the tub but i can still remove the lid and the fan with it when the carbon needs to be changed, then what i plan on doing is cutting 2 pieces of carbon filter sponge into circles to fit inside the tub, the first one will go just behind the fan, then il add a layer of granulated activated carbon and fill it until i can just about squeeze the second piece of carbon filter sponge on top of it like a sandwich, fix it to the outside of my grow box near the top, make sure that its air tight around the whole thing and HEY PRESTO A CHEAP CARBON FILTER :D, i'v already tested it by stuffing it full of regular aquarium filter sponges and it's sucking air through them very nicely :)

just a few questions...

how often will i need to change the carbon in it to keep my room daisy fresh and will this work lol? i plan on making a small intake hole near the bottom of the box to keep it all at a negative pressure to ensure that the only air leaving that box goes through the filter.

let me know what u guys think as i'm off to smoke a doob :D :peacetwo: :rollit:

Re: Had a brainwave!!! :D

probably have to replace the filter every few weeks.

it should work better than nothing. wont be perfect. You get what you pay for, and for a small grow you should be just fine.

dont make the intake hole too small, i recommend twice the size of your exhaust, or you severly limit your air flow.

its only going to be one autoflower at a time hoping to lst as well to try and get maybe 4 tops not to many so the plant can just focus on those, and wudn't having a larger intake hole mean a lot of the smell will escape instead of passing through the filter? the box is only going to be H61cm W35cm D40cm and i need to keep it as smell proof as i can, aswell im using a 125watt duel spectrum cfl so the bulb wont produce much heat

cheers for the help though nibec :)

larger hole wont mean smell escape.... to an extend.

depends on your fan really... the bigger the fan, the bigger the hole you can put in it and still have negative pressure.

i once had 160cfm 4" exhuast, with a 12" intake and had no smell leak.

dont underestimate the heat off that CFL, i have just over 300 watts of cfl in a 3x3x1.5 micro grow, and have to keep about 150cfm exhaust in there to keep the temps around 76-78. which is still a little hotter than i would like..

experiment and test run your setup for roughly 12-18 hours before putting your babies in there... i say this due to past experience, (160 watts of cfl in a 2x1x1 micro grow, with a 60cfm duct fan(never use those by the way, they suck) and i fried my babies at 104F)

i'v decided to add a smaller intake fan, my exhaust is a 80mm fan and my intake will be a 40mm fan, that should insure a negative pressure and avoid those beautiful aromas ratting me out lol i don't know what the cfm is but if i worked out the volume of my grow space out right which is 61cmX35cmX40cm it's under 3cubic feet so the fans shud be more than enough :)

like i said, dry run. as my 2cubic foot space had 60 cfm going through it.. (would be exchanging the air 30 times a minute... and this is without a filter of anykind that they have to push through) and i was overheating my space by about 30F

the biggest part of planning a micro grow, is heat... you gifure out heat, and you got it

thanx for all your help :) il definatly get it up and running to see how it performs before germinating to make sure everything runs smooth :)

Good, :) seen too many people just assume something will work, an kill perfectly good seeds.

Even I it works for someone else. Always check, double check, and tripple check.

That way you don't have to start over again.

Back
Top Bottom