Has anyone ever used a hydroponic fogger?

BrokrnEyes

Has anyone even heard of the device? I learned about it today but from what I can tell it seems to be a alternative to aeroponics by using a device not that disimilar to a essential oil atomizer to turn nutrient water for uptake by plant roots by creating a sort of nutrirnt fog. Sounds like it could be interesting and make aaeroponics far more viable.

hi mate i have consideerered and planned a fogponics grow using the nutrimist which is an ultrasonic fogger designed to endure nutrients and salt in the system as all other atomisers will eventually rust away in a month or two, in my research i found that a fogger just doesn't supply enough water, its a fantastic method for nutrient delivery but it simply cannot hold enough water, i also considered a dwc/fogponics with a half full dec bucket with pure r/o water in the bucket bubbling away with fog coming in from a tube leading to the nutrimist and reservoir. allowing the plant to have enough water and the amazing nutrient uptake, the only problem id that the neutralist is around 400 bucks and i grow for personal medical use and just don't have the money, the normal ultrasonic atomisers sold for a dollar a pop on ebay will break in a week and heats the water up far too hot so having them in the dec will just cause pythof. so i think if you have the money and are willing to do the planning, this would be an amazing technique to grow fast healthy plants, maybe if i win the lotto haha, let me know how you go mate i think it will be a very interesting grow

hi mate i have consideerered and planned a fogponics grow using the nutrimist which is an ultrasonic fogger designed to endure nutrients and salt in the system as all other atomisers will eventually rust away in a month or two, in my research i found that a fogger just doesn't supply enough water, its a fantastic method for nutrient delivery but it simply cannot hold enough water, i also considered a dwc/fogponics with a half full dec bucket with pure r/o water in the bucket bubbling away with fog coming in from a tube leading to the nutrimist and reservoir. allowing the plant to have enough water and the amazing nutrient uptake, the only problem id that the neutralist is around 400 bucks and i grow for personal medical use and just don't have the money, the normal ultrasonic atomisers sold for a dollar a pop on ebay will break in a week and heats the water up far too hot so having them in the dec will just cause pythof. so i think if you have the money and are willing to do the planning, this would be an amazing technique to grow fast healthy plants, maybe if i win the lotto haha, let me know how you go mate i think it will be a very interesting grow

Could you pass along the info that you gathered regarding fogponics? I'm particularly curious about this heating issue for the nutrient water in the reservoir as I saw a couple of videos showing the guy use a couple of six dollar foggers to create the fog and was growing things like strawberries and herbs in a single unit where as another showed a three container set up, one for the water, one to create the fog, and the root box for the plant ( i'm guessing to deal with the heating issue that you mentioned).

yeah thats called aeroponic fogponics or something .I just know the roots get to absorb the nutrients directly it's unlike any other hydroponic system for that reason .Looks super cool never tried it for myself plan to though

Okay so I'm kinda sketching out a plan in my head:

Using the example from the aero garden systems, I plan on taking a Rubbermaid tube and making a Top Fed / DWC / fogger system.what I'm envisioning is an all in one unit with a res of nutrirnt water with air stones bubbling away 3437, a water pump that, like the aero gardens, sends water up to the underside of the tub lid which then spreads out in all directions and follows the roots as the water and counters them. This pump would run for 14 hours (Mostly during the night, 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. The fogger on the other hand would run for 10 hours during the day ( although because I am still envisioning this, the timings may have to change depending on the heating issue. )

I plan for the fogger is to have a " Fog tower " approach, by that I mean another water pump ( or if I can figure out a timer that will switch the first water pump over to the fogget that would be even better that will send water to the fogger, which would be sitting in its own box that is attached to the topside of the lid. The fogger generates the fog, which then falls back into the reservoir along with the nutrient water run off which would hopefully help cool the fogger with a constant flow moving around it. My hope is that by having the fogger in a section right above the res that gravity will work for me as well as provide a easy access point for fogger maintenance.

The overall idea is that the DWC / roofed Will provide a constant stream of nutrients and water allowing for all around plant and root growth and then when the fog or switches on The nutrient uptake is that an optimized because there's from our route mass then from what I have read is produced in the street fogger system as well as the fact that the plant will not be relying solely on the fog, that the issue of insufficient nutrients will be overcome.

OK so I got the fogger units on Saturday and tested it by feeling a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tub, filled approximately halfway with water. After playing around with the height of the fogger in the water ( The tower approach is definitely going to be the way to go in my opinion as it will keep the water levels constant also keeping a constant flow of water moving around the unit to keep it cooler rather than the float approach) but was disappointed to see that it only produces a light to medium fog ( I had put Saran wrap on the top so that the fog would remain contained and I could see the progress). I would say it's took less than a minute to reach its saturation point that only a single disc could produce and about the same amount time for it to turn back into water and go back into the res. Removing the plastic, I felt along the interior and I did notice a fair amount of moisture on the walls, and a bit of a dry spot in one corner.

All right so based on what I've seen in several videos as well as Photos, the fog is always a solid white/what you would almost typically expect in Hollywood film. This tells me that a single disc unit is insufficient to provide the necessary fog for a fogponic System and so I'm going to have to get a 3 disk model ( from what I've read they come in one, three, and five disc models )

Yo, yes sorry I did not update this thread. Unfortunately I never actually had the chance, let me explain:

I had bought a inexpensive ( cheap POS ) fogger as mentioned above which I was using as the theory tester. I wasn't excited about the initial results that I got as again mentioned above and went to try something else. Thinking that it was actually the light that was actually burning the fog off, I wanted to do another test only this time putting a layer of saran wrap and then the lid on and wait a couple of minutes to see how things would progress, i.e. If the fog would get any thicker with the single disc.

While filling the tub the units slips for my fingers and hit the side of the wall. I wasn't all that concerned, I had intentionally bought a heavy unit that had an aluminum shell in the fact that it hadn't hit that hard against something that was what almost everyone of us would consider somewhat soft, I didn't think it would break. Well it did. When I plugged it in nothing happened and thinking that the wire was loose I put my fingers into the water ( yep, I'm an idiot ). At first nothing happened but once my fingers were within say a quarter of an inch from the unit, nowhere near the disks ( mind you if you're not familiar with foggers, they all have a warning saying not to touch the desk while in operation as you'll feel something similar to an electric shock, it's not a shock just that it's vibrating at such a high frequency that it mimics the sensation) that it suddenly came on and my fingertips tangled with the sensation of electricity. Instinctively I pulled my hands out of the water and the unit stopped immediately. Perplexed and seeing that I wasn't actually hurt I repeated it a few times and sure enough the unit would only respond when my finger was within a quarter of an inch of it. I have no idea why but obviously it wasn't going to work so I had to return it.

I decided to page through all the Amazon reviews, particularly the one and two stars and sure know if all the complaints were very similar if not identical to my own situation, they are just been buried under a ton of, in retrospect, paid reviewer's. Here's work at weird and let this be a warning to everyone who's thinking of trying to get into fog Panik's or at least 20 around with it before they commit I left a negative review, saying what it happened and thought that would be the end of it. I wasn't malicious or anything of the sort I just stated the facts that the unit had not performed as expected and had stopped working after being slightly banged around against the wall of Rubbermaid tub. I got my refund within a day or so later I got contacted by the vendor asking for me to take my negative review down and that they would refund me five dollars ( never mind the unit was $10 and I had already gotten the refund ). I responded saying no I didn't feel that it was appropriate to take negative review down and that I thought that would be the end of it, will they sent me A response with a sob story saying how they were brand-new vendor to Amazon and that negative reviews could seriously impact their ability to sell and that it wasn't fair of me to judge them on a manufacturers defect. I responded saying that I understood but that I was not going to take the review down as again it wasn't anything malicious but just stating the facts. Will they responded saying that they understood but that they would still appreciate it if I took the review down and even sweeten the pot by adding another five dollars to the refund (WTF?!) I ignored it figuring that it's best to just let things be but then they sent me that exact same email two more emails literally cut and paste of the first. I responded and told them that if they continue to harass me I would report them, pick up at him to stop.

Looking around on Amazon, I found that there's unfortunately a lot of these cheap units and so decided to look into how much it would cost to buy a purpose made fogger, the only one on Amazon at the time was going for about $100. Obviously I'm not prepared to spend that much right now and I'm waiting for the price to come down a little as well as the technology to develop a little bit more before I commit to it.

I still fully intend to build a top fed DWC FOG System, but it's gonna have to wait at least until the price comes down or when I come into some money.

Back
Top Bottom