Help! I can't keep my grow room cold!

SuperJoe

I'm using a 600W HPS in my closet, approx. 2'x5'x8', in conjunction with a danby DPAC 8399-4 Air conditioner. The air conditioner has a built in humidifier which is working great, and that I don't like at all, but seems to be inefficient at cooling the room. I leave it set to 17 degrees and it gets the room down to 35 or so and switches to fan mode... until it gets up to 36 or 37 and then switches back to A/C. The 600W HPS throws a lot of heat in such a small space, and I need an A/C that will keep it cool under these conditions.

I can run it either in conjunction with a 70CFM exhaust fan or with the exhaust fan disabled (the A/C has its own exhaust which is routed out my window) - I'm thinking maybe the A/C uses the air temperature of the intake to judge the cooling??? I might just replace it altogether. Are there any ways to minimize this problem or are there any portable A/C units that fellow growers can reccomend??

Thanks for stopping by and reading my thread :)

Re: Help! I can't keep my grow room cold!!!

Update: I checked out my local supply store and I've seen some reflectors that really sparked my interest, those being the encapsulated tubular ones. I was just wondering some opinions on how well those work at reducing the heat thrown by the light, if I hooked an inline fan up to it and pushed the air from the tube directly out my window. I'm not sure exactly how much heat is coming from the light itself and how much is just light turning to infrared upon contact with surfaces - though my room is lined with mylar sheeting and the floor is white PVC. Any ideas?

A cool-tube would definitely lower your temps.

There are larger air-cooled hoods, sealed with glass, that provide better coverage than cool-tubes, but cool-tubes work too. They have optional external reflector "wings" that help with light spread a bit.

The Super Sun and Super Sun II reflectors are air-cooled and a real bargain for the quality and performance.

In that space you have got to consider CFL's like I have, cool, high Lumens and worth every cent.
Check it out and be very happy that you can and you will love these.
DSC001342.JPG

Peace my friend and good luck growing a natural plant
DSC001401.JPG

Do you think I will be able to replace my A/C with a 70-100cfm active intake of 21 degree air if I use a cool tube? I need to get temps down FAST because I'm getting more and more sprouts every day and these stems need a bit of wind. They're under some CFL's in my bathroom right now, and needless to say, no wind. The A/C I'm using takes up to 9.6 Amps and my circuit is only 15... so I really want to do something about this A/C.

Thanks,
Joe.

P.S. Please keep in mind that my room is only 2'x5'x8'

Thanks for all the help guys!

Super, I feel your pain man, If you only have intake temp of 21C thats not to hot , more importantly there you need to change the air out fast. The CFL's will help with this like crazy.
I currently have 8 x 42 watt 6500K and 4 X 23 watt 2700k lights in mine and I also have an air pump, water pump and fan off that. Not sure what the total amps is but I am not tripping my breaker. I will check it tonight and get back to you with everything running.
I am here to tell you thought intake of 21 is not to hot, change the air over more man.
I will get back to you on total amps tonight thought ok. And a picture, just so you can visualize, mean time check out my grow......
:)

Hey 0115790, I had a look at your profile and saw a link to your setup - didn't have all the lights you described, but I get the idea. I was originally thinking of going with CFL's but decided against it because I wanted some more bountiful bud, and read that HPS is king. Now as for why I chose the 600 instead of the 400, I'm still unsure about. Something about there only being a $30 price difference, but I do acknowledge that a 600 watter in that space is probably overkill. Plan is to get that cool tube tomorrow. I really hope it will eliminate my need for an A/C, 'cause besides reducing up to 9.6A of load on that circuit, it'll free up lots of space on my floor. (only 10' sq.)

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, need batteries at the moment!

Thanks so much for tuning in and for all your replies guys, I'll tell you how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom