Help me clarify please: Nitrogen deficiency?

Maxocist

420 Member
IMG_20220712_215550.jpg
IMG_20220712_215713.jpg
IMG_20220712_215719.jpg

HI there people, I hope you all had a blast weekend , just a quick question in the round. So about a week ago my little Scout girl here had build some brown tips and i diagnosed her with overfeeding. So i stop giving food for 2 watering now ( pH always 6.4-6.48 not more not less). I never gave water until it runs out at the bottom, i gave water only until i think it's wet enough ( maybe I'm giving to less, help me on that too if you would) light is Mars Hydro sp 6500 50% intensity at hight of 80ish cm always on 18 and off 6, temp. 24 - 27 sometimes 28 when i forget it but never longer than 15 minutes Humidity 55 - 65, the nutrition i gave her last time was Advance pH perfect ( with the ape picture as logo) 3ml of micro, grow and bloom in 6 liter of water . But now in the LST stage she get yellowish leaves what look like nitrogen deficiency, can you guys confirm it? Or is it something else? And any tips out there to help my little Scout Cookie girl? Much appreciated. Oh between, it's a soil mix, 50% bio-soil, 20% bat guano, 10% of rice hulls ash, 20% perlite in a 3 gallon plastic pot. Air flow is simple, i installed a ventilator outside at an airhole and blast it 24/7, inside i have a 15l swamp cooler on lowest setting ( will be turned off at night time because of humidity spike drastically) and normal clip Ventilator is replace for air breeze, outflow i just kept 1 Airhole at the top across open, tent is 3mx2mx1.5m.

:welcome: @Maxocist
I would suggest mixing a bucket of CaMg + 50-75% strength nutes, and slowly dunk the entire pot for ten minutes until it is soaked then drain; don't completely submerge the pot (3/4 is deep enough) or your Perlite will float away
Note the weight of the pot for reference - that is now fully watered, no dry spots
She will perk up very quickly

Not see N def but wanted to comment…. i could be wrong here but your base grow media looks like coco coir…

coco is soil-less so it’s not the same as soil. Technically speaking coco is considered as drain to waste hydro.

can you confirm exactly what brand or what ingredients are in the 50% bio-soil?

It matters because ph for coco should be set at 5.8 whereas for soil the ph of incoming fluids should be set at 6.3 ….

welcome aboard Max

:welcome: @Maxocist
I would suggest mixing a bucket of CaMg + 50-75% strength nutes, and slowly dunk the entire pot for ten minutes until it is soaked then drain; don't completely submerge the pot (3/4 is deep enough) or your Perlite will float away
Note the weight of the pot for reference - that is now fully watered, no dry spots
She will perk up very quickly
Thank you very much, will give that to my girls right away.

Not see N def but wanted to comment…. i could be wrong here but your base grow media looks like coco coir…

coco is soil-less so it’s not the same as soil. Technically speaking coco is considered as drain to waste hydro.

can you confirm exactly what brand or what ingredients are in the 50% bio-soil?

It matters because ph for coco should be set at 5.8 whereas for soil the ph of incoming fluids should be set at 6.3 ….

welcome aboard Max
It's Worm soil mix with Leave soil, no coco inside

it's a soil mix, 50% bio-soil, 20% bat guano, 10% of rice hulls ash, 20% perlite in a 3 gallon plastic pot.
You soil mix as you described is OK except for the 20% bat guano. And, I notice that you do not mention any Peat Moss. There are small pieces of brown on the top of the soil mix that shows in the photos which is why @013 asked if there is coco coir in the soil.

It's Worm soil mix with Leave soil, no coco inside
Tell us some more about this soil. Did you mix it yourself or is it something you bought at the store?

You soil mix as you described is OK except for the 20% bat guano. And, I notice that you do not mention any Peat Moss. There are small pieces of brown on the top of the soil mix that shows in the photos which is why @013 asked if there is coco coir in the soil.

Tell us some more about this soil. Did you mix it yourself or is it something you bought at the store?

That's something i brought from the military Store where they mix it themselves. Is bat guano bad? If so i will stop using it.

That's something i brought from the military Store where they mix it themselves. Is bat guano bad? If so i will stop using it.

Maybe it's a bit confusing. It's a military base that have a garden store inside. Where the soldiers and their wife sell home made soil.

IMG_20220712_215550.jpg
IMG_20220712_215713.jpg
IMG_20220712_215719.jpg

HI there people, I hope you all had a blast weekend , just a quick question in the round. So about a week ago my little Scout girl here had build some brown tips and i diagnosed her with overfeeding. So i stop giving food for 2 watering now ( pH always 6.4-6.48 not more not less). I never gave water until it runs out at the bottom, i gave water only until i think it's wet enough ( maybe I'm giving to less, help me on that too if you would) light is Mars Hydro sp 6500 50% intensity at hight of 80ish cm always on 18 and off 6, temp. 24 - 27 sometimes 28 when i forget it but never longer than 15 minutes Humidity 55 - 65, the nutrition i gave her last time was Advance pH perfect ( with the ape picture as logo) 3ml of micro, grow and bloom in 6 liter of water . But now in the LST stage she get yellowish leaves what look like nitrogen deficiency, can you guys confirm it? Or is it something else? And any tips out there to help my little Scout Cookie girl? Much appreciated. Oh between, it's a soil mix, 50% bio-soil, 20% bat guano, 10% of rice hulls ash, 20% perlite in a 3 gallon plastic pot. Air flow is simple, i installed a ventilator outside at an airhole and blast it 24/7, inside i have a 15l swamp cooler on lowest setting ( will be turned off at night time because of humidity spike drastically) and normal clip Ventilator is replace for air breeze, outflow i just kept 1 Airhole at the top across open, tent is 3mx2mx1.5m.
How often are you watering, while trying to guess how much water they need? I think they simply look overwatered, by watering too often, and now underfed since you stopped giving them food. How do you determine that it is time to water, and how in the world do you determine when they are wet enough?

That's something i brought from the military Store where they mix it themselves.
Maybe it's a bit confusing. It's a military base that have a garden store inside. Where the soldiers and their wife sell home made soil.
This helps clear it up. What it sounds like is that you have a "mystery soil mix" which is something that the buyer has no idea of what is in it. There could be coco coir in the soil that the wives mixed up.

When you said "...it's a soil mix, 50% bio-soil, 20% bat guano, 10% of rice hulls ash, 20% perlite in a 3 gallon plastic pot." it sounded like you mixed it up yourself. Was someone able to tell you that the ingredients and amounts were what you mentioned?

Is bat guano bad? If so i will stop using it.
No, nothing wrong with Bat Guano in a soil mix. The problem is that you said it was 20% which is a lot, a whole lot, of a particular fertilizer in a soil.

Depending on how the Bat Guano was collected and processed it could be a high Nitrogen soil amendment or it could be high Phosphorous.

Personally, I do not think that there is anything wrong with the soil mix at this time. It just is a "mystery soil" and should get your plant growing. Later on is when we might see the signs that more nutrients are needed.

How often are you watering, while trying to guess how much water they need? I think they simply look overwatered, by watering too often, and now underfed since you stopped giving them food. How do you determine that it is time to water, and how in the world do you determine when they are wet enough?
I normally just stick a finger in the soil and see if it's still moist ( about half of my fingers) and lift the pot to see if it's still heavy, normally i water it about a liter for about 2 - 3 days,

This helps clear it up. What it sounds like is that you have a "mystery soil mix" which is something that the buyer has no idea of what is in it. There could be coco coir in the soil that the wives mixed up.

When you said "...it's a soil mix, 50% bio-soil, 20% bat guano, 10% of rice hulls ash, 20% perlite in a 3 gallon plastic pot." it sounded like you mixed it up yourself. Was someone able to tell you that the ingredients and amounts were what you mentioned?

No, nothing wrong with Bat Guano in a soil mix. The problem is that you said it was 20% which is a lot, a whole lot, of a particular fertilizer in a soil.

Depending on how the Bat Guano was collected and processed it could be a high Nitrogen soil amendment or it could be high Phosphorous.

Personally, I do not think that there is anything wrong with the soil mix at this time. It just is a "mystery soil" and should get your plant growing. Later on is when we might see the signs that more nutrients are needed.
Now i understand, thank you for the clarification. Actually I'm the one who put the bat guano in the mix my bad on that.
Will keep updated when something is wrong. I just gave her nuts and cal mag today mix in pH water 6.48 until it runs out. So about 3 liters per plant. After that i checked the water that ran out and the pH was 7.0

I normally just stick a finger in the soil and see if it's still moist ( about half of my fingers) and lift the pot to see if it's still heavy, normally i water it about a liter for about 2 - 3 days,
ah... so you are watering as if it were a tomato in the outdoor garden, instead of a closed container of soil, that traps moisture. You have no idea why you are giving a liter of water each time, it just feels right. You have no idea if there is still water standing in the bottom of the container other than you lifting it to see if it is still "heavy" but since you are likely feeling some water weight in there, just not as much as when it is fully watered, so you feel it is ok. You are watering more by the calendar than by what the plant needs. The finger in the top tells you nothing, other than that the water table has fallen below where your finger can reach, and by coming along every 2-3 days to fill it back up, you are never letting oxygen get to the very lowest roots, and they have probably been standing under water the entire time you have been growing this plant.

That explains the looks of your leaves, which definitely are suffering from a N deficiency, because now that your lower roots are dying, your plant can not draw up all of the nutrition it needs nor can it achieve enough water pressure in the trunk to be able to get good lift on the leaves so they can angle up toward the light.

Next time you lift up your plant, trying to determine if it is time to water, ask yourself if compared to a similar container filled with dry soil, if you can feel ANY water weight at all. If your human senses can feel it, it is NOT time to water. Read my watering article linked at the bottom of this message to learn about the wet/dry cycle, and why it is so important to establish with this weed.

Now i understand, thank you for the clarification. Actually I'm the one who put the bat guano in the mix my bad on that.
Will keep updated when something is wrong. I just gave her nuts and cal mag today mix in pH water 6.48 until it runs out. So about 3 liters per plant. After that i checked the water that ran out and the pH was 7.0
A couple of additional red flags went up after reading this. What exactly is pH water? Are you measuring the pH before you add nutes to it? You should always measure and adjust your pH AFTER you have added nutes, but double check that your nutes are not already doing that for you. I still don't understand why you are aiming for 6.48 pH, because the sweet spot in soil is 6.3 pH and if you are adjusting, you should go a bit lower. As mentioned before, calmag should be added to your water first so that the magnesium converts correctly. Adding magnesium to a nutrient mix will cause conversions of the magnesium into compounds that are not bio-available as the magnesium will react with some of the nutrients. Lastly, runoff pH in soil is like trying to measure the strength of coffee coming out of a percolator. The measurement has everything to do with how much water is flowing, and because of its subjectivity, the reading has nothing to do with what is going on in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom