Help With Remote Ballast

Bobzilla

If you read any of the tread Electrical Question - Please help, you will know i just got a 400w hps that i'm trying to fix up. I want to make the ballast remote. From some things i've read it's as easy as lengthening the two socket wires. Is that true? The reason i'm doubting myself, is someone in my previous thread mentioned adding a ground wire. I understand the basics of needing a ground in electronics, but i don't understand where i would connect this new wire. I know it would be connected to the metal case at one end, but where on the other end?

the cord that plugs into the wall has 3 prongs? if so then the ballast is grounded, so when you lenghten the socket cord use at least a 14-2 (the 14 is the wire size, and the 2 is the # of insulated conductors) AWG (American Wire Gauge) wire with a bare ground conductor. the black and white(hot and neutral) wires carry the power, black power in, white power out. and you would connect the bare copper wire (ground) from the metal reflector hood to the metal ballast case(or even better to the ground wire inside the ballast case).
Hope this is detailed enough for you.

ALSO NEVER WORK ON ANY ELECTRIC DEVICE WHILE ATTACHED TO POWER, ALWAYS USE A MULTI-METER TO TEST ANY CIRCUIT BEFORE TOUCHING IT. ALSO NEVER ASSUME THERE IS NO POWER JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT PLUGGED IN, BALLAST HAVE CAPASITERS IN THEM WHICH STORE A CHARGE AND IF YOU TOUCH IT IT CAN RELEASE THAT CHARGE INTO YOU AND KILL YOU.ALWAYS BE SAFE, WHEN IN DOUBT DONT DO IT.

Back
Top Bottom