Hempstalk - Portland Sept 11 & 12 2010

G-Dog

Hempstalk Portland Oregon 2010

Portland Oregon is currently holding their annual cannabis festival, Hempstalk. The event is being held this year on September 11th and 12th at Kelley Point Park, just north of the city. Many noted Marijuana activist attended the festival as well as several bands.
Saturday, September 11th, Jack Herer’s son Dan Herer, spoke to the crowd, as well as Marc Emery’s wife Jodie. As good as it was to see our good friends, the loss of Jack Herer and the imprisonment of Marc Emery brought a serious note to our friendly cause. Like Marc Emery or not, his imprisonment in the USA is so very wrong on so many levels. Jodie’s speech was sincere and touching. Marc Emery was sentenced Friday, September 10th to 5 years in a US federal prison. It also marks 1 years since Jack Herer had his stroke on stage at Hempstalk last year that ultimately lead to his death on April 15th.
Related links:
Marc Emery Canadian Pot Activist Marc Emery Sentenced To Five Years In US Prison
Jack Herer 'Emperor of Hemp' Jack Herer Fighting For His Life After Heart Attack at Hempstalk
Jack Herer Author And Hemp Activist Jack Herer Has Died

Jodie Emery
Jody_Emery.jpg

Saturday’s weather started off as cloudy and cool, with the constant threat of rain looming. However, the clouds did burn off, and we found ourselves wearing less and less clothes as the morning turned into afternoon.
Kelley Point Park is just north of the city of Portland, where the Willamette and Columbia rivers meet (or the confluence as it is called). Although the park is large enough to hold such an event, parking in the park was for vendors and VIPs. People parked outside the park and rode in on the complementary golf carts and buses to the main event and stage area.

Hempstalk Shuttle
Hempcarts.jpg

People of all ages, the young and the old attended. Dogs were allowed, and if you do not know, Oregon is not only one of the most 420 friendly states in the union, but also one of the most dog friendly states as well. People showed in costumes, babies danced with their mothers, and people freely rolled and smoked what they wanted. The sweet smells of herb filled the air. At 4:20 fireworks were set and everyone lit up. I felt pretty bad for the speakers during and after 4:20 as the crowd was wasted.
Many very creative vendors attended the event, and the prices for just about everything was very reasonable. I got bottled water for $1.00 for instance. Everything from tie dye clothing, hemp products, hydroponics and glass were available. Ladies in colorful costumes made their way through the crowds offering edibles.
It was a sunny day in a very beautiful park and thousands of beautiful people were free to smoke and have a good time free from police intervention. On the topic of Police I have to say that the Portland Police were awesome. I did not see or hear of any kind of harassment what-so-ever, and the closest I seen were police outside the park instructing the general public to not park in places that could get them towed or ticketed.
Next year when we attend we are bringing our bicycles so that we can park outside the park and ride in.
The event will continue through today and I hope everyone that can will attend to help support our cause. It looks like another beautiful day.

Stage Security
Stage_Security.jpg

Smokey Crowd
Smokey_Crowd.jpg

All Kinds of Pipes
Lizard_Pipe.jpg

Pipe_Gun.jpg

Art Everywhere
Local_Artist.jpg

Mobile_Bong_Vendor_Interior.jpg

Mobile_Bong_Vendor_Exterior.jpg

Hemp_Hat.jpg

Most of the music was exceptionally good.
Band.jpg

Edibles Everywhere
Edibles.jpg

Re: Hempstalk, Portland Setp 11 & 12 2010

Here is a new bong and bamboo pipe that were given to me from a couple of the vendors at Hempstalk. Everyone thought it was neat that I was writing this thread for 420mag

My_New_Bong.jpg

New_Bamboo_Pipe_Given_to_me_.jpg

wow, now thats enought to tork the the best of us....150 miles away, and i missed it....where do i see or find upcomming events....lol....L

Looked like a wonderful event, wish I could have been close enough to be in attendance. It would really be nice if all states could be so 420 friendly. Things are getting better in my part of the country but not by much. Sad to say that in my part of the country we might as well be in another country as compared to you guys on the west coast. Glad to hear that things went so well:bravo:...:roorrip:

Lavender what is 150 miles? Many people agreed that Portland's festival seemed less commercialized and structured than the one in Seattle, albeit smaller. I hope you can plan on visiting here sometime and enjoying the celebration of the people that make up our underground culture. We truly are brothers and sisters in this.

WMD, now you have a good reason for not coming. You could not drive here and home in a day. I have been in about 45 or so states and your's is not one of them I have been to. I may have flown over it when landing an airplane in Norfolk Virginia (The landing pattern follows the Chesapeake bay bridge). So I cannot say anything about your state. I do know that I kind of liked Virginia, but it is just on the wrong coast. And I did get in trouble in Virginia a couple times too, although nothing too serious. You know on Virginia Beach they have signs telling you it is illegal to swear. Not that I am a fan of the gutter mouth, I still believe in the first amendment and try to use it whenever I can. I have heard of similar celebrations in Maine I think... but I am not sure. Everyone should come to Oregon though. We keep it pretty real here.

Thanks Frisbee

It is a legal protest and usually police allow such things in even the most archaic places.

What I thought was interesting is that there were very young teenagers smoking. I am not for that at all.

As far as the health hazards of smoking cigarettes, although I hate them, your average car subjects you to thousands of times more harmful gasses than a smoker. If you live in a large city like LA it is unhealthy to ride your bike to work it is so bad.

You have to look out for it next year. Same approximate time and same location. There are lots of places in Oregon where people freely light up. In Eugene webehigh says that down town in the square is where to score, and that is where the police station and courthouse is. I never tried it, but look at webehigh for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom