Hermaphrodite worries

Tony614

Hows everyone's holidays going? Anyhow, I've got a small problem. I'm thinking of starting a SMALL grow, maybe 3-5 plants, just b/c I really want to try my hand at it, and I really want to smoke my own at least once. What situations can turn ladies into hermies? I've heard that irregular light can cause it, and I'm worried I may not be able to get exactly 12/12 during flowering due to work schedule and such. If I'm an hr or so off on my cycle occasionally, is there a huge risk? Also, what other situations can cause this? I just really want this to be successful, and to have nice, healthy ladies. Any help would be appreciated. Take it easy yall... :peace:

Tony

I wouldn't vary the light cycle a lot during flowering but being off an hour or so on occasion shouldn't cause that big of a problem. Don't you have a timer?

The bigger problem with Herms is when you have light poisoning, i.e. a light leak or a light coming on for 30 minutes in the middle of your 12/12 dark cycle every day (don't look during lights out). ;)

Hermies can simply be bad genetics as well, so you gotta watch out until you know what exactly you have. If you plant seeds from a bag of hermie weed and you're more likely to have hermies appear in your grow. You'll find stable females in there too. Just clone those females and you'll have no more worries.

:peace:

Harry

Hows everyone's holidays going? Anyhow, I've got a small problem. I'm thinking of starting a SMALL grow, maybe 3-5 plants, just b/c I really want to try my hand at it, and I really want to smoke my own at least once. What situations can turn ladies into hermies? I've heard that irregular light can cause it, and I'm worried I may not be able to get exactly 12/12 during flowering due to work schedule and such. If I'm an hr or so off on my cycle occasionally, is there a huge risk? Also, what other situations can cause this? I just really want this to be successful, and to have nice, healthy ladies. Any help would be appreciated. Take it easy yall... :peace:

Tony
Timers are cheap Tony. They automate the light cycle eliminating any irregularity. Stress causes problems Tony. Whether it be light stress like you mentioned or heat stress or any stress it can all cause hermies. But don't let that stop you from trying. Cannabis is hardier than most believe. I've seen it get snowed on, freeze and stilll survive. lol

Thanks a lot yall. I'm on a very tight budget, and was worried some of the things like timers may be expensive. As far as genetics go, I'm gonna MAYBE try bagseed first, but its 90% likely I'll just be getting some AK-47 clones. Anyhow, thanks a ton for the help. I didnt really take light leak into consideration, I'm considering just doing a closet...I'm guessing I would need to seal the gaps between the doors/floor. Once again, thanks again for the help, yall are great.

Back
Top Bottom