How can I make e-cig liquid/juice from Glycerin Tincture

Curly Beaver

I have a lot of glycerine tincture that I want to turn into liquid for an e-cig pen. Somewhere I read that you just needed to cut the glycerin tincture with propylene glycol but now I can't find that article/directions. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to turn glycerin tincture into e-liquid for vaping?
Thanks

Hey Beav -- That seems like a hard one. I don't know if you can to there from here short of some serious chemistry. Glycerol is a very polar molecule (three OHs on small molecule) and THC is not, so you could exploit that by adding a non-polar substance that the THC would dissolve into in preference to glycerin. Like if you mixed grapeseed oil in with the glycerin and agitated it well for a long time, I would expect that the THC (and other less polar stuff, like the bigger terpene molecules) would go into solution in the oil and then you just pour off the oil. That would get the THC out of the glycerin but leave you with oily THC. :p

Butane is a nonpolar solvent that would boil off, so if you mixed butane and the glycerin mix thoroughly and separated the butane, the butane would boil off and leave the THC/terpenoids/what have you. But butane is flammable and wants to be a gas at room temperature, so you're looking at pressure vessels and/or cryogenics. Chem lab stuff.

Maybe somebody out there might have a solution, but I think the best advice is probably to just enjoy your glycerin mix.

OK, one more useless thought: Glycerin boils at a really high temperature--like over 500F. THC boils a couple of hundred degrees lower, so theoretically could just vaporize the THC out of the glycerin by just heating the mix to over the 350 F. But glycerin absorbs water out of the air really easily so there's probably a lot of water in the mix. I guess it would boil off first...

Just enjoy the glycerin mix!
Semper Fi green brother/sister :)

Both ingredients seem to be present in most mixes so I would think it can be done..... I just can't find a recipe now that I'm ready for it:tokin:

I got curious so I Googled "ratio of glycerin to propylene glycol in vape mix" and got a bunch of responses, including this:

Most of the manufactures of e-juices today mix both PG and VG together to retain positive properties of both substances. Different manufacturers have different proportions but typically you would see 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30 ratios of Propylene Glycol (PG) to Vegetable Glycerin (VG). By combining the two substances you achieve a balance in terms of flavor intensity, throat hit, and vapor density. If you still unsure about Propylene Glycol (PG) vs. Vegetable Glycerin (VG) E-juice, different ratios of mixed PG and VG is the best way to understand which is more preferable and enjoyable for you.

So it looks like you just have to add an equal amount of proplylene glycol to your glycerin to get it to 50/50. (Of course that 50/50 mix may not have the concentration of THC in it that you want, but I guess you could add more...)

Yup, 50/50 is the logical starting place. It doesn't look like it needs to be heated or anything, just start mixing small batches until you find the best ratio. It will be nice to get the ratio locked in for a particular batch, the flavorings can wait... first things first:thumb:
I got curious so I Googled "ratio of glycerin to propylene glycol in vape mix" and got a bunch of responses, including this:

Most of the manufactures of e-juices today mix both PG and VG together to retain positive properties of both substances. Different manufacturers have different proportions but typically you would see 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30 ratios of Propylene Glycol (PG) to Vegetable Glycerin (VG). By combining the two substances you achieve a balance in terms of flavor intensity, throat hit, and vapor density. If you still unsure about Propylene Glycol (PG) vs. Vegetable Glycerin (VG) E-juice, different ratios of mixed PG and VG is the best way to understand which is more preferable and enjoyable for you.

So it looks like you just have to add an equal amount of proplylene glycol to your glycerin to get it to 50/50. (Of course that 50/50 mix may not have the concentration of THC in it that you want, but I guess you could add more...)

You can use a microwave in very short bursts & glycerine alone to make the e-liquid.

but you will need a simple sub-ohm vape ( 0.5 ohms), not a standard e-cig type vape.

They are quite cheap nowadays for a standard beginner type.

You can use a microwave in very short bursts & glycerine alone to make the e-liquid.

but you will need a simple sub-ohm vape ( 0.5 ohms), not a standard e-cig type vape.

They are quite cheap nowadays for a standard beginner type.

I realize this is an old thread, but I am trying to make my own vape pen oil..... For starters , what sub-ohm vape pen do you recommend for using refillable cartridges?

Back
Top Bottom