How Early Can I Plant Outdoors In SoCal?

weedineer

420 Member
So imagine you live in Southern California. There's not likely to be any frost at this point. Daylight time is still a little under 13 hours. I think by April 12 or 13 we will be at 13 hours. Is it too early to plant an auto flower outdoors?

Dan__

If you going with an auto flower I don't think hours of daylight are all that critical? I live up the coast a ways on Vancouver island so what I do may not apply to your situation: I live in a latitude North of you. My first grow was last year. I started both Early Miss and New York City Diesel seedlings in late March and had them in the ground by mid April and other than problems with the local deer, elk, and banana slugs snacking on them, what didn't get eaten, survived. The Early Miss flourished, but the NYCD was a little stunted compared to another four or so I put in late May, but that probably was due to lack of rainfall as we had an unusually dry spring.

This year I plan to exercise a bit more patience (I don't even need to grow at all this year by a good margin) and wait until I see lots of other succulent wild greens growing before I put anything down as I don't want my girls to be the only appetizing growing thing in miles. I've never concerned myself with hours of daylight, other than making sure I put strains like Afghani (which isn't an autoflower) in early enough so they have lots of time to grow before blooming. This is probably the wrong way to maximize yield, but I'm still experimenting. Hope this helps!

The elk and deer presence is somewhat muted in my EastLOS backyard. It could be the 6 foot concrete walls all around, or it might be the 40,000 houses between me and the San Gabriel mountains. In any case, consensus at Grasscity forums is that mid to late March is the time, so it's time to get started I think. Thanks for the input! I don't have to be so covert because I'm stTe legal, I just gotta worry about the gardener and the pool guy, cause the dogs know them and won't chew their legs off.

I am a first timer in SoCal also. I am south of you but not enough to make any difference in daylight hours. I'm curious as to whether bright shade is that much worse than direct sun. I have a little sliver of a yard between my house and my neighbor's house. It is getting about 2 hours of direct sun right now. The rest of the day is bright open shade. Will autos grow okay in that situation? I was planning to wait until June, but if I can start sooner I will.

sent from my mind using my fingers

I tried peppers in a side-space like that. They just didn't get enough sun. I'm gonna go with full sun exposure. You may be OK, depending on how bouncing sunlight you get.

Back
Top Bottom