How long are roots?

Cheispah

How far beneath the soil do roots extend? Does the root length mirror the plant height? How far away from the stem in an outward direction do the roots extend? I can't water what I can't see. Thanks.

I think the roots and above ground plant have about the same mass, but it depends on the soil to where the roots penatrate, rocks, density of the soil like if it is sandy or full of clay. In ideal situations probally close to a mirror image.

if planted in soil they will grow a big tap root and then grow multiple roots off of that....ive heard it goes further into the ground than one would think, i always just cut my plants at the base when harvesting so i have no idea until i pull one up but thats too abusive i think

if planted in soil they will grow a big tap root and then grow multiple roots off of that....ive heard it goes further into the ground than one would think, i always just cut my plants at the base when harvesting so i have no idea until i pull one up but thats too abusive i think
It depends on several things. Some strains grow with a wide but shallow root system and some grow with a deep tap root but skinny mass. Soil mass also plays a role. Hard clay soil will give you a shallow but wide root system as the plants have to work too hard to penetrate and grow out sideways in the softer soil nearer the top.
Hydro plays a different role in root mass. With hydro the bigger the root mass the healthier the plant.

As you can see, roots can be a bit different depending on some factors. Just water enough so your leaves don't wilt and it doesn't matter that you cant see the roots.

Back
Top Bottom