How long before top fed becomes a moot point

Nikon187

I know top fed dwc speeds up the beginning stages of the plant but when does it stop making any addition benefit? When the roots are out of the net pot and in the nutrient solution? On day 17 from seed atm and am using one tote for top fed dwc for 3 plants but want to move them to there own totes and don't want to have to buy three more pumps, droppers ect . Thanks guys. :) first post on here but lots of good info

Hi Nikon -- Welcome!

Basically, as soon as the roots touch the water, I think top feed starts to become unnecessary.

I used top feed for my hydro grow, but next time I'm just going to skip that and just have the fluid in the reservoir touching the bottom of the pot. The hydroton balls will wick moisture up up to the roots just fine.

Yeah I do the same as scientific described I just establish a fill line for fresh transplants and once the roots drop, I drop the level down to keep the stem out of the nutrient solution to help prevent stem rot. I prefer net pots and collars but Hydroton is my second choice but without drip I let the bubbles spit when they pop wet the hydroton

Back
Top Bottom