How many square feet per plant?

RandyL

I was wondering what others here think is an ideal amount of square footage to give each plant for a full 7-8 week veg and then a full flower cycle.

I'm not talking about SOG methods.

I've got a flowering room measuring 7.5 feet by 8.5 feet. 63.75 square feet total space.

In my first grow we packed the room with 22 plants, 11 Bubba OG and 11 GDP. They were crammed together, it was very difficult to walk around in there, the plants didn't grow very well, etc.

After that, I decided to reduce it to 16 plants in the room. My thinking was that the plants could be spread out more, and light would get around the plants better, and the extra growth would make up for the lower # of plants.

That time I had 4 Bubba OGs averaging just over 2 ounces per plant (in FF soil, no CO2), and 9 GDPs averaging 1.4 ounces per plant. And a few others of a different strain that didn't produce much. Of course, I learned more about nutes, mites, and other things, so the second grow was bound to be better.

Now I'm doing my 3rd grow, this time with 16 Skywalkers. They seem to be a sativa / indica hybrid from what I've read, so they are more tall and skinny plants, not short and bushy like GDP. The plants themselves are in a space measuring about 6' by 6', in a neat 4X4 arrangement. I can walk around the plants, I have set up some T8 flourescents on the edges and down the middle of the room to provide side lighting with 1400 watts of HPS overhead, etc.

So 16 plants in 36 square feet would = 2.25 sq ft per plant, but in counting the whole room it becomes 4 sq ft per plant.

Anyone got similar or different numbers, how tightly they can be placed without being too tight, etc?

I THINK I could squeeze 4 more in there, but it would make the room way too tight to walk around in. Tough decisions!

Although their are too many variables to your question, my answer is to research your new strain. if it is a very sativa dominant strain, it will take up more room than that. i say this because of the amount of light you have in your room, your confidence with nutrients and some pretty successful past grows.

bottom line: compare similar grows with similar strains. this sight is great for that! good luck.

Back
Top Bottom