Hr 5843?

Bonethugs420

Has anyone heard anymore news on HR 5843.. if not its

4/17/2008--Introduced.
Act to Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults - Prohibits the imposition of any penalty under an Act of Congress for the possession of marijuana for personal use or for the not-for-profit transfer between adults of marijuana for personal use.
Deems the possession of 100 grams or less of marijuana as personal use (one ounce or less for a not-for-profit transfer between adults).
Allows the imposition of a civil penalty under the Controlled Substances Act for the public use of marijuana if such penalty does not exceed $100.

here is the people that support it

* Rep. Barney Frank [D, MA-4]
* and 8 Co-Sponsors
o Rep. Tammy Baldwin [D, WI-2]
o Rep. Earl Blumenauer [D, OR-3]
o Rep. William Clay [D, MO-1]
o Rep. Barbara Lee [D, CA-9]
o Rep. Zoe Lofgren [D, CA-16]
o Rep. James McDermott [D, WA-7]
o Rep. Ronald Paul [R, TX-14]
o Rep. Fortney Stark [D, CA-13]

It was introduced, but not voted on it I believe. Does anyone know when it might be voted on.. hopefully when Obama hits office.. :peace:

Bills go through a minimum of 5 steps. Introduction has occured and even Barnie Frank said this one had no chance of passage.

The second step is committee approval. personally, I think this bill will be bottled in committe in perpetuity (forever)

If it makes it out of committe the last three steps include a vote by the house, then the senate, (then conference reconciliation), then the joint bill goes to the president for signature.

Unless/until our elected officials discover that the sky won't fall if they oppose the drug war in public, many will continue to vote against this bill even if they agree with it.

I heard a new update on this - from the NORMLcon conference.

They are going to reintroduce the bill in the next congress, then try to get more co-sponsers.

The most positive comment was that they were suprised that 8-10 people had asked to cosponser, and this was even before they started soliciting.

Back
Top Bottom