Humidity and Flowering Time

JoeRockhead

Hi all. I'm a new grower, with one plant in promix under a 400w MH. It's been flowering for 4 weeks and has some decent buds on it. My questions are:

1. How much humidity is too much? I'm at 65% RH constantly

2. The top third of the plant has 75% of the buds, is that normal? I have good movement of the plant with a fan, and reflection is good.

3. When is harvest time? Should I just be watching the trichomes for color change?

Thanks.

1. 65% is fine. Humidity is generally not a problem unless you live in an area of high humidity. Some growers have to use a dehumidifier and in certain parts of the US outdoor growers are always in danger of getting bud rot from contant high humidity.

2. Buds grow on the upper parts of the plants first. As flowering progresses the lower buds will fill out but they won't be as big as the upper ones.

3. I use the old-fashioned method of determining harvest time by bud hair color. Max THC is when 75% of the bud hairs have changed color from milky/clear to red/brown/purple. Some people like the more active, head high of 50% color change. Max THC means couch-lock. I like to have some of both.

2 & 3. Many growers use a staggered harvest. They will harvest the top part of the plants first (they mature first) and take the lower buds as they mature.

JoeRockhead said:
Hi all. I'm a new grower, with one plant in promix under a 400w MH. It's been flowering for 4 weeks and has some decent buds on it. My questions are:

1. How much humidity is too much? I'm at 65% RH constantly

2. The top third of the plant has 75% of the buds, is that normal? I have good movement of the plant with a fan, and reflection is good.

3. When is harvest time? Should I just be watching the trichomes for color change?

Thanks.

Your in 4 weeks of flowering using a Metal Halide bulb?? I hope you ment a HPS bulb

Nope, MH. I was thinking about getting an HPS conversion bulb for next time, but the MH seems to be working just fine right now.

I tend to agree. I don't know about using the full spectrum bulb, but I do overlap the two during flower and it definitely produces fuller, larger colas where the two overlap when it's both HPS and MH.

Your thread sort of migrated from the humidity question and went down the path of MH verse MPS and even Spectrum. Which will be helpful later on but I do have a question regarding humidity.

I build my cabinet out of an old computer hutch and am having a hell of a time keeping my humidity up. I'm experimenting with a AeroGarden unit just for play and a learning experience. Humidity hovers around 30-40% right now and want to get it corrected before my Little gets any bigger. Does anyone have any home grown suggestions without breaking the bank? Here's a picture of the cabinet and the AG in week 2.

IMG_0687_800x598_.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Renegade69

TheeEngineer,

Thank you for the suggestion. Here's this mornings notes....

Temp at 0700 was 82 and humidity was 22. High and lows for the night were 81-84 and 80-85 (2 thermometers) Humidity was 22-34%. Put another wet paper towel inside along with an 8”X8” glass dish of water and within 10 mins humidity already up to 27%. But temp dropped to 79. Probably because of the water being introduced. Not concerned about the temp, I'm still within range. Just need to figure out the humidity thing early. Glass dish was placed in cubby above AG and small glass dish was placed against heating pad that is on the same shelf as AG but off to one side. Humidity is slowly rising. Up to 30% now.

I am going out today and look for a humidifier. Hopefully I can find one small enough for my little cabinet. How long before humidity becomes an issue? Right now we are only in Week 2, Day 4.

Question.... Where should I put the dish? Below the AG or above? Same question for the humidifier?

Thanks,

Renegade69

not too sure where it is best placed, but my pots are in two large trays, and I just pour some water into the base of these, it helps drop temps by a degree or two as well.

Back
Top Bottom