I can't wait anymore!

JunkYard

I'm going with flouros for my first indoor grow. I simply can't wait until I have the money for an HPS system. Flouros are much cheaper, and don't put out nearly as much heat, so...

I'm growing Cindy 99, and maybe a grapefruit. (Female seeds) I thought about Kakli Mist, but decided against it. I'm growing in a closet with enough room for like 4 tall and bushy ladies.

What can I expect to get out of flouros weight wise? Also, should I use the tubes, or the cfl's. I noticed the tubes have more watts. I've read through some grow journals. (Brett, and Endo) both used flouros, and seemed to fair well enough with them.

I know about the lumens, but was curious if I could use the red spectrum throughout the grow, or if I'll need the blue to start with? I don't plan on vegging too awful long. If I need the blue, what can I get away with in terms of how many lights? Money is an issue!

I plan on using as many red specrum I can afford for flowering, and the blue 'will' get into those funds./shrug

I need some help!

Anyone willing to help a first time 'indoor' grower?

use the cfls!!! TRUST me!!! i've grown with tubes be4, and i've helped friends grow with MH for vegging, and honestly... CFL's are the best thing that ever happened to me... I swear by them... plants just seem to LOVE them!! I get closer nodes, less stretch, and better lateral growth... 42w CFL bulbs usually only come in one spectrum at home depot, lowes, etc... so get a few of those, and then get a few 23w daylight spectrum bulbs... they sell 3-packs at home depot... 3 23w's, and 2 42's would be perfect... then just get a smaller wattage HPS, because the plants still love the CFLs during flowering, but they like the regular spectrum bulb better... so keep whatever 42w's you have, and add a 150w HPS... i'm sure you can save up the money for it and probably some additional 42w CFLs in the time it takes for you to veg... and the best thing about them is that you can put them anywhere around the plant!!! keep the HPS on top, but you can put the CFLs wherever you feel like light is lacking... but the thing is... less heat per bulb, yes... but 4 42w bulbs can get damn hot! you'll need some serious ventilation...

edit: CFLs have electronic ballasts, rather than magnetic, like in normal tube lights, but you CAN get tube lights with electronic ballasts, like in the Suncell Systems products... those also work very well... but CFLs are cheaper and are available everywhere...

I wonder if a 150 watt hps 'flood' light would work? They have them at Lowes for like 80 bucks. I'll def be picking up some cfl's for the veg cycle, and for extra light during flowering.

I think I decided to grow only one plant this round. You know, just to get a grow under my belt. By the time I harvest, I'll have enough money for a proper hps system...400-600 watt. Then I can bump it up to three, or four plants per grow.

Btw, Endo...I loved the way you set up your cfl's in your first journal. ;) I'll be trying to mimic your's, cool?

Someone chime in about that hps flood light @ Lowes. I think it may be my best bet. I could get I proper low watt hps at inside sun, but I'll have to pay shipping, and I only have like a little over $200.00 to get this grow going...

Thanks,

^^Forget the above post^^

I found my light! Woot, woot

$100.00 total for a 400 watt hps...Fantastic!

They have the same at inside sun. They're 10 bucks more, but with an extra 2 year warrany.

I have been growing for the last 2 years or so with only about 230 watts of CFL's. I only finish 1-2 plants at a time but am planning on buying one of those ~$100 400W HPS systems soon. I can't wait to experience the HPS power.

I have enough smoke stashed in jars to keep me flunking drug tests for the forseeable future even though I have given some away.

Speaking of drug tests, I start a new job in about a week that didn't require a drug test although I did sign a waiver saying they could??!???

Back
Top Bottom