Illinois Marijuana Advocates Hold First Fundraiser

Robert Celt

The process for veterans to gain access to medical cannabis is a difficult one, according to local activists who aim to streamline the process.

The Morton-based organization CBD Education Services held its first fundraiser, "Helping Our Heroes," on Saturday at Metamora Fields Golf Club, inviting the public to learn more about medical cannabis and its effects on a wide range of qualifying illnesses.

Money raised through ticket sales, silent auctions and raffles at the event is used to help military veterans gain easier access to medical cannabis.

"To enroll in the (medical cannabis) program, a veteran has to have his fingerprints done and they have to pay a $50 fee to the state," said Ben Rediger, CEO of CBD Education Services. "Many of them are up to 100-percent disabled and don't have the resources to work or to afford that, so the money raised from the donations and auctions tonight will go to pay for the fingerprinting and registration for every veteran that qualifies in the area."

Though stigmatized by some, the use of medical cannabis – especially for veterans with qualifying conditions – has attracted some curiosity from local veterans groups, Rediger said.

"They're very interested in learning the medical aspects and why it can help them," Rediger said. "They have concerns that we have answered over FOID registration; the program does not prohibit FOID cards and medical marijuana, despite what they understand. ... And concerns about PTSD, because that's not included yet.

"Overall, the reception from the veterans at the local VFWs and Legions has been extremely positive. We've been out the last couple weeks at almost every VFW and Legion in central Illinois; many of them have donated to this cause."

Todd Ashley, outreach coordinator for CBD, said public response to the group's efforts has been generally positive.

"So far, everybody's been really, really responsive," Ashley said. "They've been real good to us. We haven't had anybody that really had any negative things. We've met a few that were skeptical, and within a matter of 30, 45 minutes, they understood what we were doing and were patting us on the back."

Saturday's event, the first of several fundraisers organized by CBD, attracted not only veterans, but also members of the public interested in learning more and patients currently using medical cannabis.

"In 2011, I was told I had a brain tumor and multiple sclerosis," said one Peoria resident who identified herself as Kathie. "For the first year, I was in and out of the hospital probably six times. My whole right side was paralyzed, so I went to physical therapy. ... Four months later, the left side (was paralyzed)."

After trying more traditional methods of treatment – which included 21 prescriptions – Kathie turned to medical cannabis as an alternative. The difference, she said, was immediate.

"In May of 2014, I started using cannabis oil," Kathie said, adding she had researched the use of cannabis in January of the same year. "... So I started using that, and within three months I was off all the pharmaceuticals. My gait and my walk is strong, it's improved. ... My brain tumor is shrinking quite a bit. My quality of life is better; I have no pain. I am 100-percent for it."

Though Illinois has passed medical cannabis laws since then, cannabis remains illegal under federal law. But working around federal law was a small price to pay, Kathie said.

"I'd rather be illegally alive than legally dead," Kathie said, adding she is grateful for groups like CBD advocating the use of medical cannabis not just in Illinois, but nationwide. "... I think it's important. It's important that the (general public) understands that there's quality of life to be had and that certain diseases and disorders are not death sentences."

hamg-marijuana-dispensary-2-660x330.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Illinois Marijuana Advocates Hold First Fundraiser
Author: Dylan Polk
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom