IN: Medical Marijuana Town Hall Held In Goshen

Ron Strider

On Sunday a group of people came together in Goshen to learn more about medical marijuana.

They are proponents of Indiana doing more to make the drug available in the state.

There are multiple bills in the Indiana statehouse right now that deal with medical marijuana.

Indiana's Attorney General Curtis Hill wrote an editorial this week in the Indianapolis Star about why he thinks the state should stand firm in keeping all forms of marijuana illegal. But some people at Sunday's town hall say they deserve a chance to try it for medical purposes.

"Dave has gone from being very active, independent, doesn't like asking for help to being dependent, inactive, frustrated, angry -- all of the above," says Suellen Roose. " It's hard to watch somebody you love go through something like this and not be able to help them"

Suellen's husband David, a Goshen business owner, was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2005. As the disease gets worse, he is looking for options.

One option he'd like to have available is medical marijuana.

"Hopefully it could help with shaking. I do a lot of shaking. I have muscles that don't work quite as I'd like them too."

Roose and his wife came out to the town hall in Goshen to hear from an IU South Bend professor and a retired military nurse, who both say the health benefits of medical marijuana outweigh any negative impact.

Captain Jason Straw of Indiana says he was trained that medical marijuana was a bad thing, but changed his mind after seeing severe trauma while serving in Afghanistan.

"We want regulated marijuana because people are doing it. So if you're going to have a medication out there, you want doctors involved," says Straw. "You want state regulation, because if you don't have that, then it is dangerous."

But not everyone in Indiana agrees.

Attorney General Curtis Hill wrote late last week that legalizing medical marijuana is "just a timid way of tiptoeing into waters that conscientious lawmakers know in their hearts should be avoided."

Roose wants lawkmakers to give him an option

"But it does make me frustrated, I know they're very conservative, and I am too. But when it comes to choice -- if there are no other choices -- then might as well let us have that opportunity."

The Indiana legislature passed its first bill in favor of medical marijuana in April.

The bill is limited. It only allows people with certain type of epilepsy to use marijuana-derived oil.

Marijuana_Flowers_-_Ray_Chavez.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana town hall held in Goshen | WSBT
Author: Cassidy Williams
Contact: South Bend Contact | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WSBT
Photo Credit: Ray Chavez
Website: South Bend News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WSBT

Back
Top Bottom