Increasing temperature at lights out to grow shorter plants that don’t crowd each other?

Mike80

Hey guys,

i was researching to improve my grow when I came across something that contradicts everything I read. Just wanted some opinions. Seems a bit risky for my first grow but might attempt it for the second. This is what they say in summary:

If we make sure we have a higher temperature in the grow tent during lights out, the plant produces shorter stems that don’t crowd each other out, producing a homogenous crop of dense flowers.

They found that keeping daytime temps lower than nighttime temps, a situation they called “negative DIF,” made plants have lower internodal length. “Positive DIF,” keeping daytime temps higher than nighttime temps, caused stems to grow longer.

This effect comes from differential expression of enzymes that degrade gibberellins, a group of hormones that regulate plant growth.

That most of the stem-elongation caused by positive DIF occurs during the first couple hours of the morning. Lowering the growroom temp below nighttime temps during the first two hours of lights-on is sufficient to retard the stem-elongation otherwise induced by a positive DIF.

This technique, called a “cold-air-dump,” is relatively simple. Say, for example, your growroom normally reads 80 °F during lights-on dips to 75 °F during lights-off. Simply run a small air conditioning unit, or vent cold air from outside, to bring the temp down to 70 °F for the first two hours of the lights-on period. This precise temperature manipulation will produce shorter plants that don’t crowd each other out, producing a homogenous crop of dense flowers.

If you want to read the full article By hightimes , google this :

Grow Hack : Day and Night time temperature

Seems like a lot of trouble when you can just LST and use a lux meter to keep the correct lux at the top of the canopy.

Top after node 6, use pipe cleaners to spread limbs horizontally.

I seldom get a plant 20 inches tall from the pot.

Scrog is another method.

I'd go top, LST or scrog all proven methods.

Back
Top Bottom