Indoor Soil Grow Advice Needed

OlderStoner

My plants are in their 7th week of 18/6 since they sprouted from seeds. Today I will move the them to 12/12. In my last grow I f'ed up with the nutes so I'd like to ask for some advice from experienced growers.

At this stage all of them, and I do mean all of 11 of them look beautiful. The Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil has done it's job getting the seedlings will into the veg cycle. I have used only the smallest, and I mean only 1/8 of the dose recommended in some of the plants with the FF nute regime, Big Bloom, Gig Grow, Tiger Bloom, thus far. I noticed some red streaks in some of them earlier so I gave some of them Cal-Mag at 1/2 strength and I sprinkled only a small amount of epsom salt into their water for some of them.

At this point, I'm reasonable sure the nutes in the FF soil are about to play out. Or are they? This stuff comes with a huge dose of N because all of the plants I've grown in take off like crazy with growth and turn a very dark, deep green, almost black in color. The newer top leaves coming in now are still rich and lush but a little lighter green in color. So now I'm ready to give them all a big drink and some nutes....or am I?

Yes, I know I sound off my rocker. I'm just so paranoid about when to add these nutes. Even the organic stuff I have around here, which I plan to use for most of their flowering period.

As for watering, I have them in mostly 12" deep pots. I can tell by the weight when they need water. But, like last time I used some really tall (19") pots for some of the plants. What I've noticed with these pots is than even though I added lots of Perlite to the soil mix and these large pots do drain well, there is a tendency for the water to dry up in the top 6" to 8" of the soil but down deep, where I know the roots are by now, the soil is still very damp. I can pick up one of these pots and it's still heavy with fluids. But the top part of the soil is bone dry. And the heat from two 600w MH lamps has been on them 18 hours a day. I worry about giving them any water at this point because the deeper soil is still very wet. I've also used a meter which measure dampness. When I plunge it deep down in the soil, below the 8" point, the needle pegs all the way over the "DAMP" zone of the scale. So there's water for the roots. I just worry about keep the soil wet higher up in these deep pots.

Hey buddy check both my journals from my signature. Both grows were Fox farms and also the ocean soil. You are deff ready to start feeding regularly especially in flower where they desperately need food to build them beautiful buds. Follow the nute chart Fox farms provides. I did the whole time

Maybe go a Lil light on the recommended dosage. I used fox farm for years great products but being so salt based can lock up on ya.

Before you move to bloom hit Em with a Lil open sesame.

Thanks. I can't believe the spurt of growth which happened after the last watering. I've been letting them out in the direct sun and breezy wind this last weekend. The leaves are dark green, almost look like fake, silk plants you buy in the store. But the overall appearance is healthy. And I think I finally have the spider mites controlled this grow using a rosemary oil based spray diluted with water. I know I could look in there in a week or so and see hundreds of them, but for now the coast is clear. I just switched out the MH bulbs for HPS and they've been on 12/12 for 5 days now. At least two of them have shown their pistils. This came sooner than I was expecting but there's no doubt about it on the two I looked at with the 30X lens. It looks like I'm going to get lucky again and have a bumper crop of females. The two I've confirmed have also been cloned.

Now there is one, and it's one I've confirmed pistils on. It's one of the White Widow + White Widow X offspring. It is huge. Bigger than all the other plants. And more so, it's clone is coming up right behind it. This clone is now bigger than some of the other plants which were all sprouted at the same time. The fan leaves on the clone are gigantic and this one shows signs that it could become a real towering timber. I hope it doesn't outgrow my tent.

Okay, so clearly I'm into flowering. I expect the others to show their pistils within the next week. There is one skimpy but tall one, a Skunk Haze plant which is looking nice but it's nothing like the others. I think it will be a male...but can't confirm yet. If it is male, I'll isolate it and collect the pollen for later use.

I have FF Open Sesame and Cha-Ching as well as Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom. With all the dark green in these plants I don't think any of them need Nitrogen for now.

Fox farm can go low in nitrogen in early bloom. In my personal experience id recommend giving it grow big first 2 weeks of bloom as well as rest of line up. I currently use a lil modified House and Garden regiment. But Fox farm is a cannbis industry standard for years> I love there soil. Only hang up is at times my OF gets fungus gnats do to there compost pile being so close to there production area

Nine days into 12/12 and they've all shown their sex for me. Out of nine plants, I've got 2 males both of which are from the Cotton Candy mother. Darn I was hoping for one more female from her but I'll have to wait until the next grow for a shot at that. I comment on the Cotton Candy plant because it is the most potent plant that I personally have ever grown. I had some other weed in the past that was more potent but this mama really rang the bell, if you know what I mean....and I think you do! Anyway I can use the pollen from these daddies to make more seeds. One of the nine plants croaked early on me, but that seedling showed signs of deformity from it's first day out of the ground. Three are females with pistils showing nicely all over them now. And I have clones of each one of these doing nicely as well. One other plant was doing kind of poorly so I tossed it into the back garden to see if it will do anything and yes it's growing but I'm just using it for research and I have a clone from this one doing nicely. The other two plants were from the freebie pack in my last order from Herbies. The strawberry blue is looking mighty fine and it's a female to boot with lovely white pistils showing. The last plant is a Skunk Haze also from the freebie package. It's growing tall but too much space between the nodes and it looks rather sparse compared to the others.

Okay, so the males pollen sacks are swollen but I know they are no where near bursting for probably another week. Nonetheless, I will let them have about two more days in the tent and then off they go to their own room with just barely enough sunlight to keep them going so I can use the pollen later on a few of those female buds.

Now, as I was talking about the genetic differences in the siblings, one of the White Widow+White Widow X offspring is much bigger than it's siblings. Picture a man's hand, a large man's hand, I'm talking "OJ Simpson trying to force a glove on" sized man's hand. And then go about 15% bigger than that. That's how large some of the shade leaves on the clone from this one are. The clone has grown to almost match it's cloned-from plant's size. I don't know if it's the soil or what. They both get the same treatment and lighting. But I can see that this plant, if let out into the outdoor sunshine in the summer time with unlimited space would probably grow into a 12-14 footer. What a waste. I'd love to let it go to it's potential but I'm limited on space and the LE in the helicopters who routinely fly over my neighborhood would have no trouble spotting one that big.

So once I get the pollen from the Cotton Candy siblings, I plan on crossing it with this strawberry blue. Wow, this strawberry blue plant which looks almost like a head of cabbage with really broad leaves and pronounced serrations along them, crossed with that strain which produced those really frosty buds. Can't wait but that's at least 6 months before the next grow will start.

Clones hormones make the plant think its the same age as the mother it was taken from so it's ready to go technically.
Hey I'm about to start documenting our cross breeding projects in my garden thread probably this coming week. If you would like to post in there as well that would be great.

Thanks, I will certainly do that. I was wondering what should I feed the boys now that I know who they are. The females will get pampering from now to harvest but the boys are going to be moved away from them and I'd like to just get the pollen when it's ready. Do the males thrive on the same mix of nutes that we do for the buds...?

Id keep the same feeding schedule. Get them far far away from your grow area though and always change your clothes before going into your bloom if you've been around your males or seeding plants.

Hey I'm preparing to start my first grow and have been reading up on the best soil to grow with. I read a website on a Supersoil designed by a fellow named subcool a world renowned grower. Basically this soil will provided all the nutrients needed throughout the grow. Have you ever heard of growers using soils of this type and would you personally recommend using this. The website I found this info is Zamnesia

Back
Top Bottom