Intro, preliminary grow plan and questions

BlindGrower

Hi, BlindGrower here and here's a little introduction and my grow plans as of right now. If any of you could throw some suggestions my way I'd appreciate it.

So a little blurb about me, I'm legally blind and smoke to help with my glaucoma. This is important because after reading through many grow journals, I see everyone on here is extremely smart, kind and helpful. I have almost no sight, and while people have told me I can't do X Y or Z because I'm blind, I continue to defy them. This will also be a challenge for you guys as I learn more through verbal/written word rather than pictures. I have a phone and can and will take pictures once I get started so you guys can see, but i will be relying on you guys to help with noticing colors...yellowing of the leaves etc. I will be doing this 95% by feel, and smell. It's how I do cooking too and I love to cook.

Anyway I've been spending a lot of time reading many different ways to go about this on a budget and youtube has been very helpful. Thus far, here is a list of things I am going to buy If anything changes I'll post here or if there are better options, also please post them here.

1 Store-It-All cabinet from Lowes. this cab has 4 removable shelves, and already comes white.
Price: $108
this cab was used by a guy on youtube who grew train wreck and super lemon haze and he yielded just over 2 lbs of dried bud. check him out at Growing Closets : The Ultimate Guide To Growing Weed In Your Closet there's not a lot of info but you can see his cab setup. I was thinking of building my own cab, but man i really dont' want that headache and i don't have tools to build with, paint, etc etc. a tent from Hydro Labs with everything is like $240. And when i say everything, I don't mean lights, I just mean fan, carbon filter and a few other accessories, the tent I was looking at is the gl60, measuring approx. 2x2x5 feet (none of this cm crap lol) here's the link
GrowLab Horticultural Grow Room - GL60 |
This is just the tent itself which is $102 online $37 discount
So I probably could outfit that cab I first mentioned from Lowes for less than that tent with all the accessories but just the tent is $6 cheaper. The downside is that if I had it out in the open I mean...it'd be pretty obvious but could stick it in my closet. My closet is sick because it's got it's own outlet, like, you can't get any more convenient than that. All self contained. But the other thing is for $6 more I get wayyy more space and I can separate the cab into sections for flowering, veg, and seed/clones...little modding yes but may be worth it in the end. The other thing too is that I won't have to find somewhere to put my clothing rack lol because the cab won't be as sketchy to leave out in the open.

Analog timer. These are cheap I know however as I am blind, I can't use a digital light timer and the analog ones generally have tabs i can manually move around to get my 18/6 then 12/12

Lights. Sigh, yes, I know metal halide and high pressure sodium are the classic options, but where I live, that may be a little too much power for this circuit as me and my neighbor are on the same circuit...I'll explain this a little later. I may get a low powered hps, but I've also been leaning more towards CFL. But how much bud really would a cfl give me since it doesn't really have a red spectrum? I mean I'm sure it works, but would the price of an hps be justified in the offset of bud I'll get using it? I've also been 'eyeballing' (yes pun intended) at this site, it's a LED panel designed in the Netherlands specific for growing nugs, but I can't seem to find any reviews on it, it is $240, and has a switch for 28W, 43W and 56W max. Seems low, but the guy claims at 56W it puts out as much light as a 300w hps/mh lamp. As I don't really know much about electricity, this seems like quite a big difference, but anyway it's designed to be used all the way from seed to harvest. here is the link
LED growlight

I also was looking at this as well, but this is $10 more and doesn't seem like it'd be as efficient
Super Grow LED | Super Grow LED
I know that LED's are marketted for growing purposes but many of them do not work at all for growing, so while the power savings is attractive and the power consumption would be minimal, what are your guy's thoughts on these.
Basically it boils down to, I'm REALLY leaning towards these LED's I just posted, CFL's for supplemental, lighting and mh/hps if I REALLY have to. I've also heard the Eloofa led light works really well but can't seem to find it anywhere for sale and is about the same price, $240. So I'm really interested in these leds if anyone has any input here, man would it make my day, the price I think would be justifiable.

Growing medium - ok, yes, I'm going to do the manual hydro method....unless someone else has a better method. I was just going to buy some perlite/vermiculite, mix together, and feed with water. I like to be in control, and having total control will help me determine exactly how much nutes my babies need rather than just guestimating if the soil is dry enough etc etc. I hear extremely good things about Blue Planet Nutrients, but not quite sure if this is a soil mix, or a powder mixed with water, etc. I'm interested in this, anyone have any specifics on this feed? I also hear you get more than your bang for your buck with these guys.

Few questions not yet resolved..:
What are the best buckets to use?
I hear rapid rooters are sick, Mutt on here used them and he loved them...can anyone describe rapid rooters to me?

Can't think of anything else right now, so if anyone has anything else to add feel free to do so.

A word about electricity. To run a 400w hps for a month (4 weeks) on 18/6 my total bill or at least it would be an additional $20 to my bill, not really bad, however I worry about overloading my circuit. I live in a quad, which is small than a studio I share a bathroom with one other person and a kitchen with 3 other people, there are 4 quads that are grouped together, and i pay a flat rate of $45 on top of my $380 rent for electric, sewage, wireless internet, garbage, and heat. I am assuming they are billed either for per building as there are many people living in this building and we all pay the same thing. The breaker box in the kitchen with all the switches doesn't have any amperage markings but generally speaking each breaker/circuit has 15 amps typical. This building is old, and they charge $0.0985 per kwh. Can i also add that they find the strangest places to put outlets? One behind me is on the baseboard, and another one where my fridge is plugged into (because i don't share a refridgerater) is half way up the wall...go figure. But now if this is true about the average number of amps per circuit I should have already blown it by now, as my fridge says max amps 7.2, and my laptop 1.7 that's like almost 200W, I'm not an electrician but what does this 'max' business have to do with a bag of shake?

Peace out, and smoke a bowl on me :)
:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom