Iowa: GOP Lawmaker Brings Up Medical Marijuana Bill

Robert Celt

State Rep. Peter Cownie announced Tuesday he will file a bill in the Iowa House of Representatives authorizing the growth and distribution of medical cannabis oil in the state.

The move follows a 2014 law that allowed Iowans to possess cannabis oil for the treatment of epilepsy. However, a separate state law currently makes it illegal to manufacture or distribute that oil in Iowa, and federal law prohibits its transportation across state lines.

In practice, that makes it illegal for Iowans to obtain the product, noted Cownie, R-West Des Moines.

"So we have a problem," he said. "We heard some people that are (bringing it in anyway). Frankly the way I look at it, that is in violation of the law technically. They're bringing this oil over for their kids who have epilepsy. But it has worked. It's worked for people in my own district."

He said hearing stories of families like Steve and Sally Gaer, who have a daughter with epilepsy who has benefited from the oil, moved him to act. The Gaer family have been advocates for many of the changes Cownie has proposed.

"I think people need to understand this is a treatment for people with debilitating diseases that have tried all the conventional medications and have not been helped," said Sally Gaer. "This is a treatment that is safer than OxyContin and most pharmaceuticals."

Cownie said he plans to release full details of the bill once it's assigned Wednesday, but said it would allow marijuana to be grown in Iowa and turned into the cannabis oil that many say has helped family members with debilitating illnesses such as epilepsy. Doctors would be allowed to prescribe the oil to people with epilepsy and other diseases.

He said it does not allow marijuana to be smoked and it does not allow for recreational use of the drug.

The Iowa Senate, controlled by Democrats, passed a bill last session that would have given people with a range of illnesses access to medical marijuana.

But leaders in the Republican-led House have publicly opposed this type of legislation, as have many rank-and-file members. Cownie said he expects there will be bipartisan support for his bill, but realizes it will also face opposition from within his party.

"Not just Democrats or Republicans need this. Everyone needs this," Cownie said. "This is a bipartisan issue, so I would expect there to be bipartisan support out there. I'm asking everyone to keep an open mind until we have a final product."

In addition, he also faces a legislative deadline, known as the "funnel," which requires House bills to have cleared a full committee in order to continue. That date is Feb. 19.

Maria LaFrance, an activist with Iowans for Medical Cannabis and the mother of a child with epilepsy, said she is grateful to have Cownie's support.

"In my opinion, whatever it takes to help the sick and suffering. And if that is another bill that's introduced by a Republican, I think fantastic," she said. "It shouldn't matter one's political party. It really shouldn't. But if that helps us get a bill passed, so be it."

prescription-cannabis.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Iowa: GOP Lawmaker Brings Up Medical Marijuana Bill
Author: Brianne Pfannenstiel
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom