Iowa House Republicans Ponder Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

Republican state lawmakers spent hours Wednesday night discussing a proposal to expand Iowa's limited medical cannabis law, but party leaders Thursday gave little indication as to whether the proposal will receive further consideration this year.

And a key Democratic legislator said even if Republicans approve their bill, Democrats in the Senate will alter it to more closely match theirs, making full legislative approval even more challenging this session.

In a closed-door meeting Wednesday night, Republican members of the House discussed a proposal from one of their members to permit the production and dispensation of cannabidiol, an oil byproduct of the marijuana plant that has been found in many cases to reduce seizures caused by ailments such as epilepsy.

On the heels of that discussion, House Republican leaders said Thursday they have not determined whether the proposal will receive further consideration this year.

"We're having a good discussion about it and I don't think we've reached an outcome," said House Speaker Linda Upmeyer, R-Clear Lake. When asked whether the proposal will get another hearing this year, Upmeyer said, "I don't know the answer to that today."

When asked what would lead her to advance the proposal or deem it unfit for passage, Upmeyer said "consensus" among House Republicans. She and Majority Leader Chris Hagenow, R-Windsor Heights, declined to elaborate.

"There's not a mathematical formula for that," Hagenow said. "It will come as no surprise that we have a wide range of opinions on the matter. It's very healthy for us to talk through that, resolve questions and interact with each other. That's how we work. We're collaborative, and we'll continue to have those conversations."

Those who would use cannabidiol to treat themselves or their children say Iowa's current law is largely useless. Iowans may possess cannabidiol and use it to treat people who suffer from epileptic seizures, but they must acquire the product from other states, few of which sell to nonresidents.

Twenty-three states have medical cannabis programs similar to the ones being proposed in Iowa, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Rep. Peter Cownie, R-West Des Moines, who authored the House proposal, said he remains hopeful something will get done this year.

"The deal with the bill, and the issue, as I've said all along, is it's going to take good education and good advocacy to get this done," Cownie said. "People have to get comfortable with what we're trying to do to get this right. It's a big change. We're trying to grow and sell marijuana in our state."

Even if the House approves its medical cannabis proposal, it will be met with a swift edit, said Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City, who has overseen legislation on the issue in the Senate. The Senate Democrats' proposal allows for more dispensaries and covers more ailments.

Charlotte_s-Web-Oil1.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Iowa House Republicans Ponder Medical Marijuana
Author: Erin Murphy
Photo Credit: None found

I have to laugh a little when I read these articles where congressman and politicians say stuff like, “The deal with the bill, and the issue, as I’ve said all along, is it’s going to take good education and good advocacy to get this done,” Cownie said. “People have to get comfortable with what we’re trying to do to get this right. It’s a big change. We’re trying to grow and sell marijuana in our state.”
Really? They act like they are talking about Heroin, Morphine, Crack, Opiates or some other dangerous drug. Hello people this is just a plant, I did a short 10 second Google search for poisonous plants which could be dangerous to humans, my lord,I do not recall any politician saying we can not grow the following list of plants because they potentially are very dangerous.
PLANT TOXIC PART SYMPTOMS
HOUSE PLANTS
Hyacinth, Narcissus, Daffodil Bulbs Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. May be fatal.
Oleander Leaves, branches Extremely poisonous. Affects the heart, produces severe digestive upset and has caused death.
Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane), Elephant Ear All parts Intense burning and irritation of the mouth and tongue. Death can occur if base of the tongue swells enough to block the air passage of the throat.
Rosary Pea, Castor Bean Seeds Fatal. A single Rosary Pea seed has caused death. One or two Castor Bean seeds are near the lethal dose for adults.
FLOWER GARDEN PLANTS
Larkspur Young plant, seeds Digestive upset, nervous excitement, depression. May be fatal.
Monkshood Fleshy roots Digestive upset and nervous excitement.
VEGETABLE GARDEN PLANTS
Rhubarb Leaf blade Fatal. Large amounts of raw or cooked leaves can cause convulsions, coma, followed rapidly by death.

This is just a small list of many more plants which are dangerous, yet I never hear of any politician demanding regulatory restrictions on RHUBARB!
Maybe they need to start passing more laws, like if you have children under the age of 18 you can not grow Daffodils or Rhubarb. It is all about protecting the children right? Or better yet how about we outlaw them completely and start arresting an imprisoning people who have these dangerous plants on their property and procession.
Am I the only one who sees how stupid this whole subject is?

Back
Top Bottom