Is this normal after a watering? (noob question alert)

KarlJay

Ok, so I'm almost 2 weeks into this and I stopped all watering until the top soil and 2/3 finger length was dry. I read that if you wait till the last min to add water, it makes the roots 'search' for water and you get better roots.

So they were dry and started to droop. I watered them, got a run off, waited 10 min, watered again and got run off.

They looked much better (perked up) that day.

Now they are a bit droopy again.

I've read that over watering can cause droopy plants.

Q. did I over water or is this normal after a regular watering.

Q. should I just water till it drains and not do it twice (was told that allow better soil moisture retention)

Background: these are about 1gal pots, soil mix, about 6" clones now some are at 9" and many branches. Most looked awesome about 1 or 2 days before the watering.

Thanks!

dont wait that long between waterings. it's not 2/3 finger length, it's about an inch or two depending on the size of your planter. this early in the game, teasing the roots will cause unneeded stress and could potentially net you more males than you wanted.

what kind of soil are you using? what kind of nutes are you using? what kind of water? strain? size pot?

a picture or at least more descriptive info will help us help you better :D

you WILL see conflicting information to what i just said all over this forum and the rest of the internet. you will also see information that goes right in line with it. there are different techniques people use on a regular basis, most of which are experimental. just because you read somewhere else on the internet that some dude teased his roots and had great success doesnt mean it'll work for ya.

stick with the KISS method for now (keep it simple, stupid) and when you got a grow or two under your belt, then go crazy. or go crazy now! it's all up to you. and there's no real right or wrong way to do things. the best advice i've gotten and can pass on, if it feels right, do it. when in doubt, google it.

good luck, brother! you should start a grow log with us so we can follow along your progress.

peace,

tokist

Ok, so I'm almost 2 weeks into this and I stopped all watering until the top soil and 2/3 finger length was dry. I read that if you wait till the last min to add water, it makes the roots 'search' for water and you get better roots.

So they were dry and started to droop. I watered them, got a run off, waited 10 min, watered again and got run off.

They looked much better (perked up) that day.

Now they are a bit droopy again.

I've read that over watering can cause droopy plants.

Q. did I over water or is this normal after a regular watering.

Q. should I just water till it drains and not do it twice (was told that allow better soil moisture retention)

Background: these are about 1gal pots, soil mix, about 6" clones now some are at 9" and many branches. Most looked awesome about 1 or 2 days before the watering.

Thanks!
I have treated mine like tomato plants, if the leaves are dropping in the morning that means they need water. When they are new plants it's hard to over water and if you don't keep them moist they will stress. Don't water babies until they drain, just water directly around the plant about 3 inches out from the main stem or use the height of the plant as your guide for how far away you need to apply the water daily when they are babies. Only need a couple cups of water daily at this point on the surface. Once they are as tall as the size of the pot, top edge to top edge, then water the whole plant until it drains a little from the bottom because the roots should have spread to the edge of the pot.

Back
Top Bottom