Iso-2 oil

My friend had one of these back in the early 80's and used it a lot. He never got the isomerizing thing working by adding the acid or whatever you were suppose to do to make crap weed better but he did work up a method of concentrating what little THC there was into a oil, turning crap weed into honey oil.

First you use 100% Ethanol (alcohol), known as anhydrous Ethanol, no water, 200 proof, this is very important, isopropyl can leave nasty contaminants behind in the end and water screws with the oil's flavor.

He had access to really cheap low grade weed, the kind you could smoke like cigarettes and barely get high but he could get pounds of it (it was the 80's) so he would run pounds of it through 2oz at a time. Make sure the pot is really dry first, again water messes with the oil's flavor when finished.

He'd start by soaking maybe the half batch he was going to do in Ethanol for a day, using a large tupperware bowl with a sealing lid. After soaking it he'd take out 2oz or so at a time (filling up the strainer about 1/2 way) from the soaking bowl and run it through the ISO2 machine for about 12 hours, this was to extract as much of the TCH as possible.

Repeating the process and adding dry into soaking bowl he could work through a couple of pounds, this would concentrate those pounds into a couple of cups of Ethanol/THC mixture. It would be a dark green color and you could smoke it (after distilling the ethanol back out) but its wasn't that great.

The next key step was he'd poor any of the Ethanol left in the soaking bowl to thin out the concentrate and would even add more straight ethanol so he could run ethanol THC mix through a granular activated carbon filter to take out the impurities. This changes the color, again this is very important, he would run it through the filter a few times till he was happy with the color; a light honey color, hence the name honey oil. This smooths out the flavor when smoked and concentrates it a bit more since your not smoking the impurities filtered out.

After filtering he'd put mix back in the ISO2 and distill the ethanol back out of the mixture in batches; he'd have to empty that little cup (recycling the ethanol for next time) and refill ethanol/thc mix at the bottom a couple of times a day, re-concentrating the oil into the bottom of the ISO2 till you just had a semi clear honey colored oil at the bottom.

With higher quality I would guess you would need less for the same amount of oil at the end and you might want to keep it in the ISO2 longer to to make sure you get as much THC as possible out of it.

Safety Warning!
The soaking bowl and when filtering are dangerous, the Ethanol is very flammable, maybe not as much as butane but in both cases you have a lot of flammable liquid open to the air where it can be ignited.

Damn, I recall these being advertised in H&^g Ti*&es mag in the 70's... should have bought one then.. or 10 of them...

Any idea where(other then luck) these could be found?

maybe some one should make them again?

There are other oil extractors on the market, but they are very expensive.

What about a press? Any thoughts.. local 420 coalition is buying one for member use... anyone try one of them?

eBay is selling a remake of the ISO-2 for $499. got mine.:reading420magazine::party: it's called a super flower tower

I would like to point out that safe solvent's (food grade) are the only solvents that 420 Magazine will endorse. There is a ton of cleanup to do and we are working hard to rectify these issues. While still very flammable using food grade extraction solvents, extreme caution should be used and done so outside in a well ventilated area. At least for now the food grade solvents take out the poison equation which is a huge step in the right direction for safety. I for one used ISO making concentrates and glad I switched to food grade solvents. Especially for those with Cancer and other illnesses that want to make cannabis concentrated oil for the 1st time and do not have to worry about being poisoned. Thank you for your understanding.

yea I did not like to use anything I would not have drank when I did drink. A good friend has lung cancer and is in need of oil. And I would never give him poison..

everclear..........aka white lightning food grade?

I thought the same thing. But in fact its listed as food grade grain alcohol.

Hi bozzo420,

Really apologize for such a short reply as I had a thousand things on my plate. If you would be kind enough, would you suggest what you use. We are on the same page for using safe solvents for carriers. My mind went blank trying to think of others (one of those days). If you wouldn't mind would you list what you use. There are going to be as many safe food grade solvents as we can put together so people don't take poison. Its a different story for the well versed in the oils, but for those who ran out of medical options and heard of the healing powers of the concentrated oil want an easy as possible way to make their own and feel safe using their product. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Don't know if this will work or get a response but my mother uses this machine and has for yeeeeaaarrrrsss. Recently in the last two her oil has separated into two forms, one being black like the last post, other being like olive oil color consistency and color. Her friend ingested ten drops and said it gave him an amazing body high more relaxing than anything thing not like smoking. Any ideas on this new separation? Part dark tar part light soft oil.

I thought the same thing. But in fact its listed as food grade grain alcohol.
I have been working with the Oil for only a short time but I first read about using Isopropyl and tried that and it worked ok but I have since switched to grain alcohol as well. I seemed to sense a slight chemical taste when I used the isopropyl and have not had that taste since I have switched over to the grain alcohol.

I bought the Iso-2 from Thai Power back in 1976 or so and have used it on and off over the years. Since developing chronic pain and becoming a legal medical marijuana patient, I have found this device to be invaluable. Here is a little photo of what it looks like:

Here is a little photo of the extract it can make (I use Everclear ethanol for all my extractions):

iso2-5.jpg

Occasionally, someone is selling one on ebay or through the local medical marijuana associations. I have replaced the heat source about 3 times in the past 24 years (a 100W light bulb is what I prefer, though it shipped with a 150W bulb - ethanol doesn't require as high a heat as the isopropanol, which the machine was made to work with).

The extract can be mixed with whole wheat flour to make a workable little oil ball. Depending on the strain, a piece the size of a small pellet is sufficient. You have to be careful as it is very easy to take it out too far, which puts one out of commission for a few hours.

I can distinguish the different effects of the various strains quite easily using the extract. Jack Herer is great for waking up and getting things done, as is White Widow, while Bubba Kush is good for bedtime.

Peace,

Elfstone
I remember seeing the i s o 2 hashish maker in high times magazine so can you tell me where I can buy the I s o 2 ?

many thanks elfstone, finally got the manuals for my ISO-2 machine downloaded. have used the machine many times over the years and it still works great.

I found one of these in my garage. The basket seems to have corroded. There is black stuff burnt o the bottom. How do you clean up and is it possible to get replacement basket? I will try to sell it if I can get the parts

Back
Top Bottom