Join 63,000 Care2 Members Asking New Jersey To Give This Mom The MMJ She Needs

Robert Celt

People create Care2 petitions for a variety of reasons, but for Cindy Bronman, it was a desperate move to try and improve her quality of life. Bronman, who suffers from lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, has been receiving chemotherapy for five years and must continue for the rest of her life.

The chemo is incapacitating: she is nauseous, throws up, suffers chronic headaches, and breaks out in hot and cold sweats. Medical marijuana could alleviate these symptoms, but she doesn't qualify for it in the state of New Jersey. So Bronman turned to Care2, where she has started a petition urging Governor Chris Christie and state officials to expand the tiny number of conditions for which medical marijuana is eligible in the state.

To her surprise, more than 63,000 Care2 members have already signed her petition. "I can't believe the response I have received; you guys are amazing!" she writes. "Let's keep it going, keep sharing and maybe we will get Governor Christie to listen!! Thank you for all your support."

Bronman, who is a resident of Toms River, New Jersey, and a single mother of four as well as a grandmother, explains what this is all about: "My doctor is excellent and tried his best to help, but because I'm not on chemotherapy due to cancer, I do not qualify for this drug. It's absolutely ridiculous that the state is preventing people like me from using a plant that could help."

Residents of New Jersey are only eligible for the Medicinal Marijuana Program if they have one of a small number of conditions. Bronman's illnesses are not included, even though she also suffers from several other conditions: disc degenerative disease, fibromyalgia, PTSD, anxiety and depression.

Plenty of research has shown that marijuana may relieve symptoms of certain chronic illnesses, such as nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite. It has also been proven to ease pain. As a result, 23 states and the District of Columbia permit the use of medical marijuana, even though the plant itself is illegal in the U.S. But each state has specific conditions under which marijuana may be prescribed. In the case of New Jersey, it's a very small list of eligible conditions.

Other states, such as California and Colorado, have a much broader list of conditions for which patients can receive medical marijuana, but that's no help to Bronman.

As she explains: "It frustrates me very much because I am not in a position to move. I cannot afford it, and my children have grown up here. I don't want to move them from their lives. It's a simple plant, but legislators would rather make me take man-made medications. I would rather take something that won't bring about awful side effects like all the medications I'm already on – about 12 different medications."

There is no logical reason why Cindy Bronman should be denied a treatment that could help her deal with the effects of chemotherapy. And there are undoubtedly many other New Jersey residents in similar circumstances who are unable to receive medicine that could help them.

If you agree that to cause unnecessary suffering is inhumane, please sign Bronman's petition urging New Jersey legislators and Governor Chris Christie to expand the list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana.

MMJ_Rx3.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Join 63,000 Care2 Members Asking New Jersey To Give This Mom The MMJ She Needs
Author: Judy M
Photo Credit: None found

So much for the "compassion" of Chris Christy . . . and his cohorts. I'll venture to guess that once fatso gets arthritis bad enough, he'll get his MMJ (high in THC) from an illegal source but certainly legal enough for him. Good thing he dropped out. He can't "lead" his own state much less the country.

Back
Top Bottom