Just a few CFL options. curious to see what you guys think

ive been looking for cfl options here in the land of oz and so far and am curious to have some input on my choices.

the main 2 are "studio" 125/135W bulbs. 5500k and 2700k. im currently thinking of using one of the 135w 2700k with a few 45w 5500k bulbs for a experiment. my questions i guess is has anyone used these types of bulbs? how much heat will they produce? and are they worth the effort?

i cant find any brands for the lights so i will just leave the ebay links below

45w 5500k
NEW2X 45W Daylight Bulb FOR Photography 5500K Studio Light Lamp Photo Lighting | eBay

115-150W 5500k
150W Photography Photo Studio White Light Lighting Bulb E27 5500K Last 8000 Hour | eBay

135W 2700k
135W 220V E27 2700K Photography Daylight Bulb Continuous Light Ligting CFL Lamp | eBay

the plan as i said would be one of the 135w 2700k + 2-4 of the 45w 5500k.i have a reflector i want to rig up for the 135w and leave the 45's hanging free. space currently is my main issue. until i can get a tent or wardrobe or something im limited to a very small area and worried about cooking the plants....

hope this makes scene. its been a long awhile since ive used a forum so im a bit scratchy and thanks for reading

have you considered using HPS? I ask as I started out on 600w of CFL, and quickly saw the difference between my grow and peers with HIDs. temps actually dropped, too, although I am running a cooltube as well.

what you have there will work, but I was disappointed, and that was with much more CFL wattage.

think of it this way, they say you can cook an egg on the block of a car engine, and yeah, I guess you can, but it won't be great...

i have a 250w/400w hps and a cooltube reflector but space limitations are making it pointless and hot. i jumped in and bought the hps setup without doing enough research and regretting it now. was thinking about going back to basics and building my way up from there.

right now im thinking of using the cfl's for veg and then maybe switching to the 250w for flower but i still need to find big enough area for it and deal with the extra expenses (carbon filter, ducting, fans, etc etc)

i guess i could pump the $$$$ from the cfl idea into a better setup for the hps. it just seams so daunting.....

my temps with CFLs were 36 degrees C, with the cooltube and HPS they're 25 degrees C - don't be fooled that CFLs are not hot, they produce the same heat, it's just over a much larger area, hence the illusion they're cooler :)

Back
Top Bottom