Kerr's Marijuana Take Sparks Discussion, Including In OKC

Katelyn Baker

Steve Kerr's admission that he turned to marijuana in dealing with chronic pain following back surgery last year has sparked conversation around the NBA.

Kerr, the 51-year-old Warriors head coach, said he used marijuana twice in the past year. He began last season on a leave of absence following back surgery. He said that "pot is better for your body than Vicodin," noting that athletes are given such prescription pain killers "like it's Vitamin C, like it's no big deal."

On Wednesday, Thunder coach Billy Donovan was asked about Kerr's comments, and though he said he knew "what Steve was going through" and that he was "in a lot of pain," Donovan stopped short of the kind of endorsement Kerr made for medicinal marijuana.

"You have that physical pain, and you also have a lot of people deal with emotional pain," Donovan said. "And I think when you get into a position where you're relying on some kind of substance to alleviate pain, I think we all got to acknowledge and understand that those situations can lead into someone having deeper problems later on in life."

Donovan didn't take a side on the issue of medical marijuana, but he said he has known people with physical pain who "have taken oxycodone and who have taken pain killers and things like that and haven't been able to get off of them." Donovan said he's built a relationship with former college and NBA player Chris Herren, who's spent recent years talking about his battles with addiction.

Kerr said told reporters on Sunday that he's glad his admission has led to a league-wide conversation because "I think it's a very important issue to talk about."

He said pro sports leagues "don't want (their) customers thinking, 'These guys are a bunch of pot heads,'" but predicted "it's only a matter of time before medical marijuana is allowed in sports leagues, because the education will overwhelm the perception."

Thunder center Steven Adams said he's only aware of players using marijuana because "dudes just want to go to another world" and said he'd likely stick with a doctor's prescription for any pain.

Adams was told doctors in some states can prescribe marijuana for pain.

"Whose doctor's this?" Adams joked. "Where's that doctor?"

Adams on the mend

Adams met reporters after Wednesday's practice with no wrap on his injured right thumb, but he cautioned not to read into it.

"That's just a confidence thing, mate," Adams said. "I actually needed to get it wrapped. I just forgot to do it today, to be honest."

Adams has been wearing a wrap on his thumb since he injured it against the Miami Heat on Nov. 7.

"It's getting better," Adams said. "I'm used to the tape now, regardless. Even so, I should just get used to it and be able to play with it. Even with the ankles and whatnot, still got to maintain the aggressiveness and all that."

Adams sprained his left ankle in the first half of Sunday's win against the Pelicans and didn't return after exiting. He played in Monday's win against the Hawks in Atlanta.

"It's pretty good," Adams said of the ankle. "Still there. Still working. Pretty standard."

adams.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Kerr's Marijuana Take Sparks Discussion, Including In OKC
Author: Brett Dawson
Photo Credit: Sarah Phipps

Back
Top Bottom