Kind and expert growers: Please help me with my first setup for outdoor plants

Qawans

420 Member
Hi,

I'm about to plant Bruce Banner (photoperiod) in 10 x 10 Gallon Fabric Pots Outdoors.

I have Ocean Forest And Happy Frog Soil.

And Two Bags of 10 lbs. Natures Living Soil in order to make the soil living with the bottom layer Super soil mix.

The way I plan to distribute the soil mix and NLS is the following.

Top 2 gallons are just plain Happy Frog.
Second 3 gallons are 2 gallons of Happy frog mixed with 1 gallon Ocean forest.
Third layer is 1 gallon of Happy frog mixed with 0.5 lbs. NLS
fourth layer is 1 gallon Ocean forest mixed with 0.5 lbs. NLS
Bottom Layer is 3 gallons Ocean Forest mixed with 2 lbs. NLS

This adds up to 5 gallons of Happy Frog and 5 gallons of Ocean Forest and 3 lbs. of NLS. (I'll obviously take out the 3 lbs. from the soil to make room for the NLS)

I may be overthinking this but I tried to layer it in a way that the root system will gradually get into "hotter" soil as it goes deeper.

The Nature Living Soil guys told me the bottom layer of 3 Gallons of Ocean Forest mixed with the 2 lbs. NLS will probably be too hot and I should only use 1 lbs.

But I don't know if only 2 lbs. of NLS will be enough for a 10 gallon pot.

Please help me on this kind and expert growers.
Thank you kindly

Hey Qawans,

Welcome to 420! Depending on where you are located it’s probably too early for outdoors right now, better off to start them indoors under 18/6 lights, or they will begin to flower then they have to go thru a long, slow reveg process.

We are seeing a lot of new growers on the help boards right now whose plants are beginning to flower but yet the days are getting longer.... not a good place to be. Also photoperiods it might be wise to start in smaller containers and learn how to water (how to avoid watering too frequently) and by keeping the roots restricted you build a bigger rootball to propel growth with up can transplants. Multiple transplants are fine for photoperiods but should be avoided for autoflowers.

Every newcomer needs to read Emilya’s articles on watering.... bad watering habits represent a major issue for nearly every new grower.... How to water a seedling in a large container and the other one.... How to water a potted plant

for a true living soil it’s ok to keep the watering on a more frequently basis but at 10 gallons that’s not a lot for an outdoors plant or enough for a true living soil. I suspect you will need to learn proper watering tech first & foremost. Anyway this is my 2 cents....

the rest of the gang can advise on your soil mix questions above

Depending on where you are located it’s probably too early for outdoors right now, better off to start them indoors under 18/6 lights, or they will begin to flower then they have to go thru a long, slow reveg process.

We are seeing a lot of new growers on the help boards right now whose plants are beginning to flower but yet the days are getting longer.... for photoperiods it might be wise to start in smaller containers and learn how to water (how to avoid watering too frequently) and by keeping the roots restricted you build a bigger rootball to propel growth with up can transplants. Otherwise you need to read Emilya’s articles on watering....
Thank you 013!

I live in Los Angeles and without any serious light equipment I was planning to keep the plants inside most of their seedling period in a 1 gallon pot. The light they would get is from the sun as I would leave them by the window. They would get about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight. And after a few weeks - once their root structure has become larger - I'd transplant them to their 10 gallon grow bags outside.
Will this work or I'd still risk early flowering.

thank you.

First I’m not an expert nor an outdoor grower I’m just an indoor gardener for now. Its 8 weeks until solstice, that’s a pretty long haul. Plus you can get a good inexpensive fixture from one of our sponsors.

IMHO put them on 18/6 to start with or they will begin to flower before the days are long enough summer solstice is like June 20th. I don’t think you will have much growth with indirect light from a window and they may begin to flower on their own

let’s hollar at Mr. @bobrown14

Can put them out in mid May and be ok. I put mine out starting early May and bring them inside before dark into 18/6.. I just give them some mid day hot sun for a few weeks to get them ready for the sun intensity.

Sorta like hardening off seedlings. Same deal.

On the layering technique, why not just mix the soil together?? I didn't see anything in the list on ingredients that cant be mixed together and be fine for growing.

Cannabis grows roots down thru the substrate pretty quick.

Ever see a clone grow water roots. It happens FAST.

Back
Top Bottom